EV charging station

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
How many out there install / maintain and repair charging stations?

Do you have a charger / cable tester?

If so, what brand do you have? Are there more than one type of connectors?
What is necessary?

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I had a pay to park lot contact me. They had some charging stations that were donated by the local municipality. Used or not I am not totally sure.

So who owns what, not sure. Either way, the stations had the hoses, as they call it, cut off.

They would like them repaired but not at the cost that the installer quoted.

What to do?

retirede

I had a pay to park lot contact me. They had some charging stations that were donated by the local municipality. Used or not I am not totally sure.

So who owns what, not sure. Either way, the stations had the hoses, as they call it, cut off.

What to do?

You would need to contact the equipment manufacturer for replacement “hoses.”

Are they really “charge stations” or simple level 2 EVSEs? The hoses and effort to replace will be quite different depending on the answer. There’s probably a reason the quoted price was seen as high.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician

What to do?
I'm not an electrician, nor do I portray one on TV but....

'They' want you to 1) Research the parts needed 2) Procure parts and build cables 3) Install cables on chargers and (not stated, but probably) install chargers 4) ASSUME LIABILITY for a vehicle not charging properly, or God forbid, the charger setting the battery on fire (after all, remember You Touched It Last).

What to do ? 1) Walk away 2 ) Run away 3) Tell them to accept the installers bid.

Sorry if this violates any guidelines, but I felt it needed to be said.....too often we are eager to accept a challenge without thinking it through.

Gary

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not an electrician, nor do I portray one on TV but....

'They' want you to 1) Research the parts needed 2) Procure parts and build cables 3) Install cables on chargers and (not stated, but probably) install chargers 4) ASSUME LIABILITY for a vehicle not charging properly, or God forbid, the charger setting the battery on fire (after all, remember You Touched It Last).

What to do ? 1) Walk away 2 ) Run away 3) Tell them to accept the installers bid.

Sorry if this violates any guidelines, but I felt it needed to be said.....too often we are eager to accept a challenge without thinking it through.

Gary
Oh, I am thinking about that!

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
So it appears that these are level 2, since a level 3 could be 480v or higher.

Question is still how would owner of either?

Once installed can they only be serviced, repaired or maintained by the installer?

Is the installer, supposed to be the manufacturer of and the sole owner of?

Being actually able to do the job for a certain price, and having a profit, ( normal) and then considering the what ifs, maybe that price should be double.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you were a regular (perhaps certified) installer of the equipment then you would probably have a better idea of how to bid the job, or whether what they want can even be done or if the equipment is irreparably damaged. The manufacturer might not honor a warranty or accept any liability if you are not certified by them, some require you to have training or sign up in some way. Otherwise there's probably no legal/contractual reason you can't give the owner a bid. There might be some contractual relationship between the owner and previous installer but most likely that should not affect you. Not that we can really say for sure from here.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
Residential installs are one thing, this is another.

Since this came up, I am how on the quest to get more understanding. Certified if you will.

I am not so concerned with doing installs, but if I can get in on the service side. I can’t see anything wrong with it.

EVITP, I hope is the way.

retirede

A level 2 charge cable is nothing special. 2 power wires and 3 signal. The power leads usually attach to screw terminals, and the signal wires attach by a small plug. The cable usually has integrated strain relief. If you can get the correct replacement cable from the manufacturer, replacing it is probably a 15 minute job. It ain’t rocket surgery.

If you’re only being asked to replace the cables, it’s pretty straightforward. But if they’re asking you do whatever it takes to make them work, that could be a whole different level of complexity. There could be other damage beyond the stolen cables.