Ever seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm doing an 800 Amp plug and play Cam-Lock genny hook up. Service rated ATS. Please don't ask why an ATS on a portable generator. (future perm. installed gen-set)

Quote from plans Note 1

"#3/0 GEC to three 20' ground rods on 20' centers in equilateral delta arrangement"

This is 277/480 3 phase if that makes any difference.

Anybody seen this grounding electrode system speced before?

cadpoint

chris kennedy said:
I'm doing an 800 Amp plug and play Cam-Lock genny hook up. Service rated ATS. Please don't ask why an ATS on a portable generator. (future perm. installed gen-set)

Quote from plans Note 1
"#3/0 GEC to three 20' ground rods on 20' centers in equilateral delta arrangement"

Could it just be your soil conditions that they want to be sure to have enough in the terra-firma ? :roll: Or is it the case of the delta design for a genset ? Or are you just trying to not to work this weekend ?

I've seen the Delta used on a ground ring and be the ground.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
cadpoint said:
Could it just be your soil conditions that they want to be sure to have enough in the terra-firma ? :roll: Or is it the case of the delta design for a genset ? Or are you just trying to not to work this weekend ?

I've seen the Delta used on a ground ring and be the ground.

Always a pleasure to here your opinion Jude. Here are the soil conditions. It's all sugar sand. We normally hit
salty ground water at 3'-4'. Electrical plans only here, no elevations.

View attachment 720
Job site conditions.

POWER_PIG

I had the same specs on a Bank I recently wired. I was even required to cad weld the grounding conductor to the electrodes and install small round concrete hand-hole enclosures over each weld........That was the first I ever heard of this "delta" style grounding, but was no big deal to install. Ordering the weld shots and mold was the only hassle.

RUWired

chris kennedy said:

The last 7 gen sets i installed all required a perimeter 250kcmil with 4 rods on each corner, and a triangle/delta tied to that.Also multiple points of 4/0 to the frame.These were all with 3-wire ats.
Rick

robbietan

chris kennedy said:

Quote from plans Note 1

yes, and the manufacturer seems to make danged sure that anybody who uses his equipment will be properly grounded...

chris kennedy

Occupation
RUWired said:
The last 7 gen sets i installed all required a perimeter 250kcmil with 4 rods on each corner, and a triangle/delta tied to that.Also multiple points of 4/0 to the frame.These were all with 3-wire ats.
Rick
This is a portable genny with provisions for future perminatly installed genny. Hence no manufactures specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.