Evolution of Electrical Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Came across this over the weekend. This is from the 1924 edition of the American Electricians Handbook.

115 - Electricians often test circuits for the presence of voltage by touching the conductors with the fingers. This method is safe where the voltage does not exceed 250V and is often very convenient for locating a blown out fuse or ascerting whether or not a circuit is alove. Some men can endure the electrical shock that results without discomfort wheras others cannot.

116 - The presence of low voltages can be determined by "tasting". This method is feasable only when the pressure is but a few volts and hence is only used in bell and signal work. When the voltage is low, the bared ends of the conductor constituting the two sides of the circuit are held a short distance apart on the tounge. If voltage is present, a peculiarly mild burning sensation results, which will never be forgotton after one experienced it. The "taste" is due to the electrolytic decomposition of the liquids on the tounge, which produces a salt having a taste.

Wow!

Why post this? Because this shows how far most of us have evolved. Some of the old timers may have actually done this, sometimes methods like this get passed down. Obviously these practices are very dangerous and would not be followed today with anyone educated in the effects of electricity on the human body, or with a drop of common sense.

There seems to be a lot of people that hate the new OSHA and NFPA 70E rules and are reluctant to follow them. Someday, someone will be posting something similar to this talking about back in the days when we were reckless and uneducated about arc flash hazards.

After all, there was a time when 2 guys in Italy were thought to be crazy becasue they thought the earth was round.

RICK NAPIER

In my youthful ignorance that was how I tested 120 volt sytems because that was how my father did it. I also heard stories from my father about how my grandfather would test doorbell circuits with his tongue since they were battery systems and how he kept getting bit when they changed to transformers and he was still using his tongue. My grandfather was in the Spanish American War and did work with Edison.

iwire

Staff member
You should see the first aid revival techniques that someone posted from the 40s. Lets just say it was like a prostate exam.

iwire

Staff member
Brother posted this about 1.5 years ago.

What do you think of this??

The following is from The American Electricians Handbook (1942) A Reference Book for Practical Electrical Workers. Terrell Croft, consulting engineer. McGraw Hill Book Company, Inc, New York and London 1942
RESUSCITATION FROM ELECTRIC SHOCK By Frederick Koliz, MD

1st. Lay the patient on his back, 2 Move the tongue back and forth in the mouth by seizing it with a handkerchief or the fingers, while working the arms to induce respiration. 3. Don?t pour anything down the patient?s throat. 4. Try to cause the patient to gasp by inserting the first and second fingers in the rectum, and pressing them suddenly and forcibly toward the back. 5. If possible, procure oxygen gas, and try to get it into the lungs during the effots at artificial respiration

Lets keep things G rated folks.:)

cadpoint

A friend in the business told me his favorite story of his first boss (three decades ago) testing 120V breakers with his thumb and index finger, "yeah, it's good"! Gezz...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When I started in this business 25 years ago I tested with my fingers the same way my dad and grandfather did. We also used a light bulb in a socket with two leads on it. That became a problem when someone went across 240v, 277v or an open neutral and had the possibility of the lamp exploding. As an apprentice I worked with an old salt who would test fuse panels with his fingers to locate blown fuses. Since his hands were like leather he needed to wet his fingers first to get any sensation. He would put one wet finger on the neutral bar and test the load side of all of the fuses with a wet finger on the other hand. Yes we've come a long way. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.