Exam Prep Schools In Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am a licensed journeyman in Florida, but I have recently relocated to Chicago (LOVE it!).

I need to take the Supervising Electrician's Exam soon, but I need to hone my skills with a prep school or course. I was considering 'electricalseminars.com' but they are quite expensive ($4000).

So, I am looking to you fine people to recommend something to me.

Thanks!

Gary

active1

Welcome to the area.

Because there is not state test where are you planning on working and testing at? In the City of Chicago or just Chicagoland? Are you working now for someone in the City of Chicago?

If you test in Chicago you should be able to work anywhere in IL. If you test somewhere elce in IL you should be able to work anywhere, but don't plan on working in Chicago because they only accept their license.

If you want the City of Chicago test here is a link to their site for test information.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/Electrician_1_1.pdf

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/...Name=Buildings&deptMainCategoryOID=-536883467

Anyway keep in mind a few things:

Chicago wrote their own code book. It costs in the $100 dollar range. The test is on the Chicago book not the NEC.

Chicago asks for a notarized letter on company stationary from a City of Chicago licensed supervising electrical contractor saying you have more than 2 years experance in that field with detailed duties. Or you can write them a letter explaining your situation. I would not expect good results.

Chicago is a strong union town.

The city does not take well to newbe's comming to do work in the city. To put it in the departments words "things normaly don't work out well for outsiders".

Sorry I never took any test classes. Nothing wrong with schooling but that is a lot of money. For that cash I would sit and home and study myself. Maybe spend a few $ on code books or videos. I never liked any books on how to pass your test or full of sample questions. I do well with simple drawings. Do it like this and this way is bad with an X thru it.

Well good luck and let me know if I can be more help.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Wow, that is interesting indeed!

Yes, I planned on taking the Chicago test. I figured my journeyman's license should be proof enough that I have two years of experience.

I had no idea about the code book that Chicago wrote!

Nor that Chicago was a strong union city.

I am not working for anybody right now. In fact, I just planned on getting my license so I can work on my own part-time for a while.

Thanks!

active1

Here is a link to their code book:

http://www.chicagoplumbingcode.com/...ser_op=view_page&PAGE_id=7&MMN_position=22:22

Chicago Electrical Code Book 2006
Item #: 120-8731-05
Author: Index Publishing
Publisher: Index Publishing
Format: Paperback
Your Price: $194.95

The Chicago Electrical Code, published annually, includes general electrical regulations, all basic ordinances governing administration of the code itself, rules involving general applications, installations involving special occupancies, special equipment or special conditions, construction specifications, tables and penalties.

Maybe with some searching you might find it a bit cheaper? You might need the fire safety code book also for $115.

By the time you buy the books and pay for a test you spent about $400. If your lucky enough to take the test and pass I believe it will cost you more for the license fee, maybe $100 for a few years.

But your not done yet. That gets your license. To do your own work for a customer you need to register your business with Chicago (or most any other city/village), for a fee. They will want proof of insurance and maybe a bond. I imagie by that point you need a business status (DBA, Corp, etc.).

You have to register with every city/village you work in seperatly. The contractor registration fee should not cost more than $50 under IL law(should is they key word). Also once you pay the fee you should not have to pay that fee again the same year under IL law (I said should again). About half the places require a seperate bond to work there for a cost of $50-$100.

In another words passing an electrical test in IL is only about 1/3 of what's required to do customer pay jobs in most places.

I would sugest working for someone elce for a bit at least until you get a feel for the area and what's required. Such as many places in Northern IL require EMT inside and RMC for services and outside. The city has things like only "Chicago Approved" this, plenum rated everything, only iron back straps outside, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.