Exam Question by NEC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

whofrankw

A three phase 4 wire Y system has 270 amps on each leg. If all loads are linear loads, what is the size of the neutral in amps? |

A. 270
B.249
C.810
D.567

I thought it was 270. book says its 249 and i have no idea how to come up with that. any help

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A three phase 4 wire Y system has 270 amps on each leg. If all loads are linear loads, what is the size of the neutral in amps? |

A. 270
B.249
C.810
D.567

I thought it was 270. book says its 249 and i have no idea how to come up with that. any help

i don't know where they came up with 249 either. perhaps there is more information that you did not impart to us.

That answer would make sense if all the loads were L-N except for a 21 A 3 phase load and they were asking for the required neutral ampacity.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If all loads are linear loads, what is the size of the neutral in amps?
We don't size conductors in units of amps. The size of the neutral would be expressed using AWG sizes. If they are asking for the minimum required ampacity of the neutral, in amps, then the question is badly worded. I would not spend any time trying to figure out how they got their answer. Their question is meaningless, and their answer more so.

whofrankw

they gave four answers. i did not come up with the question or answers so i have to choose what fits best. the question came out of Electrical and fire alarm exam questions published by nec questions

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
they gave four answers. i did not come up with the question or answers so i have to choose what fits best. the question came out of Electrical and fire alarm exam questions published by nec questions

You say by "nec questions" who or what is the actual publisher of the exam? Can you provide a link?

Roger

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

A. 270
B.249
C.810
D.567

See 220.61(B)(2)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Funny in reading the question I would assume that the full 270 amps is from all 3Ø loads.

Could be. So I agree there isn't enough info. to answer the question.

We don't know if its a service or feeder or branch circuit. And we don't know if the loads are single phase unbalanced, or 3 phase balanced.

Assuming they are all unbalanced, and its a service or feeder, then I agree with David.

But a good test question would have clarified both points.

Status
Not open for further replies.