Exam question combination circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksparky

Hi,
I came across this combination circuit out of an Exam Prep book. The question asked to simplify circuit, then with all switches closed, give the total resistance and the total wattage of the circuit. They give you the total amps=10.
I must have redrawn this a dozen times and cant come up with the answer they give in the back of the book.:confused:
Its got me so curious I actually learned how to add photos in links just for this reason:smile:
I will greatly appreciate any help here, especially any help redrawing.
Thanks alot
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/boltedfaultz/combinationcircuit.jpg

aksparky

The answer they give in the book is 500 watts. The only way I see they get that is to have the total resistance to = 5. Current squared *resistance.
So, it seems the two 10 ohm resistors would have to be in parallel which would have to be in series with the 5 ohm resistor, then that would have to be parallel with the two 20 ohm resistors which are in parallel, but for some reason, my brain wont let me draw it that way:confused:

nakulak

switch 4 shorts out everything on the right, what you have is two 10 ohm resistors in parallel 1/10 + 1/10 = 5 ohms equivalent resistance, v = ir, v = 50v, p = 50vx10a= 500w

aksparky

Thanks alot for your reply nakulak, I really over thought that one, I had been re-drawing those circuits all morning and that one just did me in:smile:
Thanks again for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.