Exam Questions for Journeyman Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have been asked to come up with some test questions for a oral interview for Journeyman Electrican.
Our last questions were pretty weak: What does AWG mean, how do you control speed on a DC motor. The only one I liked was what is the ampacity of a 12 THHN wire - even the answer key got it wrong (its not 20 amperes)
Probably some lighting questions on HPS, motor control questions...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The only one I liked was what is the ampacity of a 12 THHN wire - even the answer key got it wrong (its not 20 amperes)
That's a tricky one. So if you use it, be very careful on how you word the question (and I don't just mean to add copper or aluminum). It's right up there with, "Who's buried in Grant's tomb," a question to which very few get the right answer. :grin:

To help us come up with suggestions, can you say whether you plan to allow use of the code book, use of a calculator, and time to work out the answers?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Charlie, good answer. It should be asked as follows:
What is the ampacity of 12 THHW and what is the allowed overcurrent protection?
These test questions are for an oral interview. The same exact questions get asked to all applicants.
Its not an open book exam. We give them the questions shortly before the interview.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can do it with a single question. Change the job description from the one I show below, if that one does not apply to your work group.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Take me through a residential panel change out. There is an existing 100 amp, very old panel at a single family residence, and you will replace it with a new 200 amp panel. Discuss the following elements:
? Preparations you will have completed no later than the night before.
? Number of crew members you will need.
? Tasks that you will assign to each crew member.
? Pre-job briefing.
? Safety considerations.
? Materials you expect to use.
? Your expectations regarding the time each task should take.
? How you plan to perform your duty as job supervisor.
? Problem areas that you might encounter, based on your experiences with similar projects in the past. How you dealt with these types of problems when they arose on previous projects.
? Describe how the project site will look, when your job is finished. That is, how do you know you are done, and in what state will you leave the job site?

By the way, if the candidate does not talk about getting a permit and getting the project inspected at the appropriate time(s), I would count that as a severe weakness.

cschmid

You can do it with a single question. Change the job description from the one I show below, if that one does not apply to your work group.

Take me through a residential panel change out. There is an existing 100 amp, very old panel at a single family residence, and you will replace it with a new 200 amp panel. Discuss the following elements:
? Preparations you will have completed no later than the night before.
? Number of crew members you will need.
? Tasks that you will assign to each crew member.
? Pre-job briefing.
? Safety considerations.
? Materials you expect to use.
? Your expectations regarding the time each task should take.
? How you plan to perform your duty as job supervisor.
? Problem areas that you might encounter, based on your experiences with similar projects in the past. How you dealt with these types of problems when they arose on previous projects.
? Describe how the project site will look, when your job is finished. That is, how do you know you are done, and in what state will you leave the job site?

By the way, if the candidate does not talk about getting a permit and getting the project inspected at the appropriate time(s), I would count that as a severe weakness.

What this is a residential job position sorry wrong interview..

it is not a journeyman's responsibility to get permits, only to let you know they are ready..

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I knew that too, but that parameter is a diameter, not a width. The most commonly used T8 has a width that is indeed 48 inches. :grin:

Two guys just landed a plane in distress,

Pilot;

That is the shortest runway I've ever seen.

Passenger;

Yeah, but look how wide it is.

:grin:

Rger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I knew that too, but that parameter is a diameter, not a width. The most commonly used T8 has a width that is indeed 48 inches. :grin:

What if you had a lamp that wasn't round like an A-19 lamp. I wouldn't call 19/8 the diameter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.