Exceptions to 210.11(3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

Does anyone know or herd of any type of exceptions to 210.11(3)? I went to look at a bathroom job the other day and when I informed the home owner I would need to run a new circuit he gave me resistance. I called him today to follow up and give him the price, and he claims the building inspector he works with(local village) says that this is only a requirement in new construction, and not a bathroom renovation. It got me thinking if there could be any validity to what he is saying, local exception or something? ( forgot to mention the bathroom is fed from the bedroom adjacent to it, off of an old 2 wire 15a circuit)

Any bathroom renovation i have done we always make sure to provide a 20A home run.(as per 210.11(3)) IMO this is the only way to do it, new construction or renovation. It annoys me how a home owner try's to tell me what is and isn't required.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, if you are not disturbing the old circuit then it may stay. However once it is moved you may need to get an ahj response. Heck it's been there all those years so it is no worse off than it was. I certainly would try and talk the HO into changing it.

GlennG

IMO, if you are not disturbing the old circuit then it may stay. However once it is moved you may need to get an ahj response. Heck it's been there all those years so it is no worse off than it was. I certainly would try and talk the HO into changing it.

I cant find the code reference, but isn't it also a violation to extend an ungrounded circuit? That creates another situation that's questionable when you rewire the bathroom with the feed that's there. If they are gonna fight me on doing what i believe is correct than I rather not do the job.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I cant find the code reference, but isn't it also a violation to extend an ungrounded circuit? That creates another situation that's questionable when you rewire the bathroom with the feed that's there. If they are gonna fight me on doing what i believe is correct than I rather not do the job.

Yes you cannot extend an ungrounded circuit. 250.130(C)

guschash

Dennis, reading 250.130(30) in the 2011 workbook, I get the impression that you can extend an non-grounding circuit. Without going through the whole thing it show a picture of a non-grounding receptacle going to a grounded receptacle.

kwired

Electron manager
If they are gonna fight me on doing what i believe is correct than I rather not do the job.

That is when you ask them why they called a professional if they did not want a professional installation.

I may consider extending the bedroom circuit for the bathroom, but if there is no equipment ground and is only 15 amp circuit probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.