Existing Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you have 10k sq ft office and they are gutting the space but leaving the existing branch panel boards and they say you can use the existing circuits would it be easier to trace out the circuits and tie the new receptacles and lighting to the existing circuits or just run new home runs? Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
DEFINITELY try to use the existing runs first. Brain-power is easier and cheaper to expend.

That is, unless your definition of "easier" differs from mine, which includes labor and materials.

growler

If you have 10k sq ft office and they are gutting the space but leaving the existing branch panel boards and they say you can use the existing circuits would it be easier to trace out the circuits and tie the new receptacles and lighting to the existing circuits or just run new home runs? Thanks.

Sure it cheaper to use existing circuits than to run new . The trick is to determine how much can be saved before bidding the job.

You really need someone with lots of experience to do a site visit on a project like this to determine what you have to work with. You may not be able to save as much as you would think.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Does 'gutting' the space include ripping out cubicles and their partitions, as well as offices? What's being left behind??

Are you asking about just leaving the main panel and the sub panel boards, or individual circuits as well?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The trick is to determine how much can be saved before bidding the job.

You may not be able to save as much as you would think.

That's a different story. My price probably would be the same, expecting the worst. What I can re-use is to benefit me, not the customer.

mstrlucky74

Does 'gutting' the space include ripping out cubicles and their partitions, as well as offices? What's being left behind??

Are you asking about just leaving the main panel and the sub panel boards, or individual circuits as well?

They are gutting the entire space but leaving the panel boards. They said to use trace and existing circuits. Not sure that would be possible as demo might affect utilizing them. I figure all new HR's.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
They are gutting the entire space but leaving the panel boards. They said to use trace and existing circuits. Not sure that would be possible as demo might affect utilizing them. I figure all new HR's.

I would too..
usually the demo crew ends up with most of the wire at the scrapyard anyway, and what they manage to leave hasn’t been treated very well...
unless your bid has you on site during tearout.

cdslotz

Estimate all new...if you get the job, then go in and find out what can be reused....

I wouldn't spend one second of my time or an electrician's time to trace circuits for a job I don't have.

The engineer should have drawn existing circuits if his intent was to reuse

Status
Not open for further replies.