Existing electrical work

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Customer has exisiting fuel station where a recent dispenser upgrade was performed. The fuel dispenser company didnt perform an onsite survey and ran into a problem installing new dispensers. The swap wasnt a like for like. The old dispensers conduit sat up alot higher than new dispensers causing new dispensers not to fit. The seal offs sat to high causing 1st electrician to remove seal off and install LBY 1st then seal off in order to set dispenser. By removing seal off and installing LBY this allowed conduit to be rerouted inside dispenser This was pretty much done to all dispensers involved.

My question are.

1. Would you as EC have done this as time and materials not knowing the conditions.
2. What solution, besides cutting/threading conduit to lower conduit and fit under dispenser would you have taken?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Those up fit contractors are always cutting corners. Lots of unlicensed guys doing work ect. They do stings on them in multiple states. In the end you're stuck doing actual threading. It's a threaded wiring system and needs to be this way do to it being a hazardous location.

No I wouldn't have removed the seal off without putting it in a new code compliant location.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Those up fit contractors are always cutting corners. Lots of unlicensed guys doing work ect. They do stings on them in multiple states. In the end you're stuck doing actual threading. It's a threaded wiring system and needs to be this way do to it being a hazardous location.

No I wouldn't have removed the seal off without putting it in a new code compliant location.
Im glad you caught on that it was a fuel/gasstation. I should have been little more descriptive with post.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Customer has exisiting fuel station where a recent dispenser upgrade was performed. The fuel dispenser company didnt perform an onsite survey and ran into a problem installing new dispensers. The swap wasnt a like for like. The old dispensers conduit sat up alot higher than new dispensers causing new dispensers not to fit. The seal offs sat to high causing 1st electrician to remove seal off and install LBY 1st then seal off in order to set dispenser. By removing seal off and installing LBY this allowed conduit to be rerouted inside dispenser This was pretty much done to all dispensers involved.

My question are.

1. Would you as EC have done this as time and materials not knowing the conditions.
2. What solution, besides cutting/threading conduit to lower conduit and fit under dispenser would you have taken?
We do similar fuel work if the onsite survey misses something we abort the job until another one can be done. Even if the job is on the other side of the state its called off. For some stuff we arrange to have AHJ present, even if we have to pay an extra fee.