Existing Fire Alarm System - Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhernandez

The team is replacing an air handling unit with a new one. The existing AHU has a duct smoke detector. We are disconnecting the duct smoke detector, removing it and re-installing it into the new AHU.

Do I need to apply for a Fire Alarm permit? Where in the NFPA does it clarify when do i need to apply for a permit in existing systems?

Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I agree with Ron, but as he indicated, the only opinion that matters is the AHJ's.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
What would they even inspect, electrically? If anything I could see the fire department wanting to make sure it's mounted properly.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What would they even inspect, electrically? If anything I could see the fire department wanting to make sure it's mounted properly.

Even though most Article 300 requirements don't apply to fire alarm device wiring, when you do the tear out your likely trimming back the cable to some junction box, so he might want to see that you're not using zipcord, for example, to connect to the new device location. And of course there's the unenforceable "workmen-like manner" rule to...enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.