Existing Panel Location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirenut46

I have a very old house that was sold. The new owners hired a home inspector with a list of items that need repaired. One of them is that the electrical panel is in the closet. I have looked in Nec Art 408 and 110. cannot find anything stated the panel can not be in the closet does anyone have any input on this please. I did find 240 (24) D but it does not say anything about existing installations.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The generally applied rule is that if the installation was code compliant at the time it was installed it does not have to be updated to current code. If it was illegal when installed it may have to be corrected if any other work requiring a permit is done.
The closet prohibition has been around for a long time, so some research may be necessary on when it was constructed that way.
The second general rule is that a Home Inspector can point out possible problems but only a licensed electrician or local electrical inspector can give you a solid answer.
Anything an HI reports is usually before the sale and affects negotiations, not legal occupancy.
An insurance company may have its own opinion on whether to insure the property as is.

JFletcher

I've seen homes built in the early 80s with panels in small closets. Either 'working space' was a foreign concept then or the panels, some of which have clothes hanger rods across the door, were in clear violation then and no one cared. Someone who is more versed in when codes came into effect will probably chime in soon.

eta: 110.26.

John120/240

My home built in 1955 has the panel in the clothes closet. A 1950ish NEC states that panels are not to be in the vicinity of easily ignitable material or some such verbiage. I haven't had any clothes closet fires, but it is on the list to be relocated.
As was stated Home Inspectors reports are only recommendations used for price negotiation between buyer & seller.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
My home built in 1955 has the panel in the clothes closet. A 1950ish NEC states that panels are not to be in the vicinity of easily ignitable material or some such verbiage. I haven't had any clothes closet fires......
It says, "Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitable material, such as in clothes closets."

This kills me every time a discussion comes up about panels in closets. The code writers are so careful to add the phrase "such as in clothes closets" yet leave out garages and mechanical rooms. No chance of easily ignitable materials in those places.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Not in quite as close proximity for the most part. I would not put flammables on shelves next to it!

Sure, you wouldn't. Have you taken a peak around you neighbourhood? Nobody has some "easily ignitable material" located in the vicinity overcurrent devices in their garage.

Most resi panels are screwed directly onto wood studs. How much more easily ignitable can you get than ageing wood?

mgookin

Sure, you wouldn't. Have you taken a peak around you neighbourhood? Nobody has some "easily ignitable material" located in the vicinity overcurrent devices in their garage.

Most resi panels are screwed directly onto wood studs. How much more easily ignitable can you get than ageing wood?

It's the textiles which are stored in the closet which are of concern; not the materials the closet is made out of. Flamespread on textiles is very rapid.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It's the textiles which are stored in the closet which are of concern; not the materials the closet is made out of. Flamespread on textiles is very rapid.
And does not require long term pyrolysis first.
Also flame spread behind the sheetrock is slowed down. But when it finally breaks through the results can be spectacular. Another motivation for ionization type smoke detectors.

mwm1752

This seems to be pretty common with HI's to report what is not up to current code standards. I'm surprise he did not mention AFCI & GFCI circuit protection if he takes that route. The 2014 NEC excludes the that update if the panel move would be less that 6'. Never quite understood why the replacement of panel or OCPD did not constitute an upgrade for protection -- sure there are judgement exeptions to the rule if industry or old wiring methods did not allow it to happen but now you have to protect with AFCI when a receptacle device replacement is done ( seems like OCPD is defined as a device also)

growler

This seems to be pretty common with HI's to report what is not up to current code standards.

If you were to inspect the same house would you not write up the panel in a clothes closet? It's considered a fire hazard.

The inspector only points this fault out but how it's handled is up to the buyer and the seller.

If I were to pull a permit to change out this panel then the odds are that I would have to move the panel and that would cost the future homeowner more money. Is it not right that the buyer should be made aware of this possible future cost of repair?

mwm1752

If you were to inspect the same house would you not write up the panel in a clothes closet? It's considered a fire hazard.

The inspector only points this fault out but how it's handled is up to the buyer and the seller.

If I were to pull a permit to change out this panel then the odds are that I would have to move the panel and that would cost the future homeowner more money. Is it not right that the buyer should be made aware of this possible future cost of repair?

My inspections are for installations to current NEC code. My opinion on past legal type installations could be taken into consideration but not enforceable, unless I can deem the existing install a life safety hazard. I would never allow a panel replacement or alteration to be left in a non compliant space. I agree the new buyer is entitled to know of possible upgrades needed for current compliance with all codes not just electrical. If I sell my home that is in need of repair it certainly won't be priced as a newly constructed home so, pricing & negotiations are always bound to happen.
Really considering new equipment standards, wiring methods & branch circuit protection the closet rule could be more of an access space issue rather than ingniteable source. Before you opine I do not support clothes closet type installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The words "such as in clothes closets" were added in the 1981 code. Prior to that it was common to put the panels in closets in this area.
There was no technical substantiation provided for this change, just the submitter's opinion that having the panel in a clothes closet was a hazard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.