existing pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

If I have an existing in ground pool in my house, and I am going to have the pump feed replaced (because it was done w/o permit and wrong), do I need to have a equipotential bonding grid?

There is no evidence there is or is not one, the pool has been there since the 60's and we are not replacing the pool or pump, just getting the feed done right. There already are pavers around the pool for 10 feet in all direction.

I am not doing the work, but I was looking at Mike Holt's powerpoint on pools and got thinking. I know the inspector, but I've never dealt with a pool

Edit: The pool is in my backyard, NOT in my house. I am not that wealthy, yet.

Last edited:

bphgravity

Consult the inspector / AHJ to find out what THEY will require you to do. When it comes to existing installations, the manner in which compliance issues are handled can vary widely.

Can it be done?

Can it be done?

If I have an existing in ground pool in my house, and I am going to have the pump feed replaced (because it was done w/o permit and wrong), do I need to have a equipotential bonding grid?

There is no evidence there is or is not one, the pool has been there since the 60's and we are not replacing the pool or pump, just getting the feed done right. There already are pavers around the pool for 10 feet in all direction.

I am not doing the work, but I was looking at Mike Holt's powerpoint on pools and got thinking. I know the inspector, but I've never dealt with a pool

Edit: The pool is in my backyard, NOT in my house. I am not that wealthy, yet.

Equipotential bonding is sure a great safety feature. If you could somehow accomplish it, that would be nice. I somewhat doubt you can be forced to bring the entire pool area up to present code though (was it not code in the 60's? I have no idea when it started). Then again, the cost of someone getting shocked may exceed the value of the grid.

There was a thread sometime back on the need to put in such a grid around a new hot tub on a deck off the second story of an addition to a home. The final consensus was "yes". Is there a way to search archived threads in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.