Exit and combination of exit sign and wall mounted battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Exit signs and combination of exit sign and wall mounted battery lights must stay on all the time but I am not sure where in the code it says exit lights stay on all the time. Does anyone know where it is in code?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I think exit lights are called egress lighting not emergency lighting. Am I Correct or incorrect? Would egress lighting be covered by NEC 700? Also where in IBC and NFPA 101 it says exit light cannot be switched must stay on all the time anyone know?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As a plan reviewer you should have the books in your office, just look it up in the applicable codes and standards.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Not really only have NEC 2017. But I got real problem here. I have plans that has office tenant space in building that show:

a. combination of wall mounted battery and exit light
b. Exit lights

Wired on the attached attachment which shows that they can be switched. However their is another circuit unswitched that is also powering so in the event of power loss the exit light and combination of exit lights and wall mounted turn on but under normal operation anyone can turn off wall light and exit lights are off. Engineer claims its compliant with NEC 2017 section 700 since they have unswitched circuit as well.

However exit lights need to stay on all the time they cannot be turned off by switch. I am trying to find this code section for this in IBC, NFPA 101 , NEC. I dont think plans can use the below attachment wiring and equipment for exit lights.

Any help with this I appreciate it

459cb48acd0069c82793e6aaae4c367c.jpg

14c210421d9acc050224fb766efcb9ba.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Egress lighting = emergency lighting. Exit signs may also include egress lighting, but can also be just an exit sign.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Not really only have NEC 2017. But I got real problem here. I have plans that has office tenant space in building that show:

a. combination of wall mounted battery and exit light
b. Exit lights

Wired on the attached attachment which shows that they can be switched. However their is another circuit unswitched that is also powering so in the event of power loss the exit light and combination of exit lights and wall mounted turn on but under normal operation anyone can turn off wall light and exit lights are off. Engineer claims its compliant with NEC 2017 section 700 since they have unswitched circuit as well.

However exit lights need to stay on all the time they cannot be turned off by switch. I am trying to find this code section for this in IBC, NFPA 101 , NEC. I dont think plans can use the below attachment wiring and equipment for exit lights.

Any help with this I appreciate it

459cb48acd0069c82793e6aaae4c367c.jpg

14c210421d9acc050224fb766efcb9ba.jpg

Does anyone know or have anyone opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont follow what is going on nor what your question is. Your attachment appears to be an LED driver that can power an LED fixture off of battery power to turn it into egress lighting. These will need a switched leg to turn the light on and off and an unswitched leg to keep the battery charged and so the battery doesnt power the light every time someone turns the switch off. But Your wording is all about exit signs and exit sign with emergency lighting and whether those can be on a switch.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I dont follow what is going on nor what your question is. Your attachment appears to be an LED driver that can power an LED fixture off of battery power to turn it into egress lighting. These will need a switched leg to turn the light on and off and an unswitched leg to keep the battery charged and so the battery doesnt power the light every time someone turns the switch off. But Your wording is all about exit signs and exit sign with emergency lighting and whether those can be on a switch.

I am not sure what part you didnt follow? Plans show that the post #5 attachments LED driver is used on the exit signs and combination of exit sign and bug eye wall mounted light.

This poses problem right since exit signs cannot be switched. Anyone can shit of wall switch and exit sign would turn off. They need to be on all the time. However the engineer claims that using the led driver is NEC 700 compliant.

I am not sure about this in exit lights. Which code exactly and section IBC, NEC or NFPA 101 does it say exit signs need to be on all the time? Do you follow?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not really only have NEC 2017.
I know this is going to sound harsh but, you need to invest in the tools needed to do your job. Electricians have a lot of money tied up in tools that they have to have, your job should be no different.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I know this is going to sound harsh but, you need to invest in the tools needed to do your job. Electricians have a lot of money tied up in tools that they have to have, your job should be no different.

Roger

Not really. We enforce NEC only. However Only thing I found is in IBC 2018:

1013.5 Internally Illuminated Exit Signs
Electrically powered, self-luminous and photoluminescent exit signs shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 924 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and Chapter 27. Exit signs shall be illuminated at all times.

So this means that the led driver cannot be used on exit signs since exit can be shut off led driver even though it is NEC 2017 section 700 code compliant as claimed by engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.