Exit Discharge Illumination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who here is aware of this requirement? Have you ever had contractors or owners questioning why you designed this type of lighting into the system?

spsnyder

To quote the ICC section regarding exit discharge...

1003.2.11 Means of egress illumination. The means of egress, including exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by means of egress is occupied.

There are some exceptions to that. Not sure your specifics.

spsnyder said:
To quote the ICC section regarding exit discharge...

1003.2.11 Means of egress illumination. The means of egress, including exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by means of egress is occupied.

There are some exceptions to that. Not sure your specifics.
So you're familiar w/ it. Are the AHJs too? Is it regularly enforced? Perhaps a stupid question for NYS, but not so elsewhere.

KHall

building code requirement

building code requirement

Same here in NC, it is a requirement of the state building code. Often though, engineers, contractors and field inspectors are unfamiliar with the what the code says. Most often, it is caught (added) due to objections raised during plan review by jurisdictions that are on the ball. One key to proper application is that the emergency discharge lighting is to be fed from the normal exterior lighting circuit, not an interior lighting circuit. I have seen some plans where the engineer powered the outside emergency lighting from the exit light just inside the door. This is not correct.

I first learned about this requirement several years ago. I don't know how long it's been around. I came across a document that I created some years ago detailing the requirements in case I was ever questioned by an owner or contractor as to it's purpose. The last thing I would ever say is that "it's code"; signifies a follower mentality - not something I am.

That document was based on the 2003 IBC, but the principle is the same today. I just didn't know how widespread knowledge of this requirement is.

spsnyder

As a designer, if you are a PE, your primary obligation is to public safety. I would concider lighting the exit discharge as a life safety issue. You shouldn't have to say "It's Code", you could say "It's a life safety issue" if it helps you to feel better having a "follower mentality". You may at some point come accross a situation were the Code doesn't cover something that you design with life safety in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.