Exit/Emergency lights on generator vs. battery backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayseeger

Our building has "night light" circuits that are on the standby generator and has no other egress lighting(existing), I believe that's sufficient for legally required standby for egress lighting, what about exit signs that are also on "night light" circuits as well? Is that sufficient as a standy source and no battery backup is needed?

Also, I've heard of and seen new construction where they are putting exit lights and EBU's(egress lights) all on the same circuit and not on the local lighting circuits. In my opinion thats a violation, no?

iwire

Staff member
If the generator, transfer switch and panel is installed as required by article 700 it could be enough for egress lighting and exit signs.

There are certain conditions that allow the battery units to be on a different circuit than the lighting in that area. See 700.12(E) or (F) depending on which year code book you look in.

rayseeger

The generator and transfer equipment are installed correctly, there are no battery backup egress lights at all and I am in the process of changing the battery backup exit sign's with non battery backup as they are on generator circuits, like i said. Our facility director is challenging my actions as they have been written up at another of our facilities in another region for not maintaining logs for exit light testing, however their generator is considered optional as their building has battery backup egress and exit lights. Our facility manager argued the fact but I'm afraid I will be fixing all the exits to have battery backup, and testing, for no reason.

There's probably nothing I hate worse than doing work for no reason at all.

What I'm referring to is all the exits and egress lights on one circuit, not on local lighting. A dedicated circuit for all and only exits and egress.

Status
Not open for further replies.