Exit Sign in Class I Division 2 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea

Is it a requirement for an separate building at a Golf Coarse with Pestisides, fertiziliers and other chemicals to have an Exit sign on the Door exiting the building?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
That is a building code rather than NEC question. It depends on factors not mentioned, primarily occupancy.

As a side issue; how was the electrical area classification determined?

Andrea

Classification of Area

Classification of Area

The Classification was determined via the NEC 2005 code book. The occupancy is Employees going in to get fertilizer and chemicals for the golf coarse.

Thanks for your help.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As my previous response indicated, building use and occupancy classification would be the primary determining factor for exit signs, whether the location were electrically classified or not.

I was curious about the electrical area classification, because I wouldn?t normally expect the facility you described to be classified. I don?t know the ??pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals?? being used, of course, but if it were classified at all, I would tend to expect it to be Class II, rather than Class I. I would gather up the relevant MSDSs and review them to ensure I had them as part of the proper documentation required by Section 500.4(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.