Exit Sign Mounting Height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

Is there any provision for "Exit Sign" mounting height? I have looked up NFPA 101 and NEC, but I wasn't lucky enough to find it. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

[ November 07, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: jkim780 ]

jkim780

Re: Exit Sign Mounting Height?

Ryan,

What does that mean, then? That means that we can mount exit sign any height we want as long as readily visible? Even 12' A.F.F.?

Can we apply this exit sign to Visual alarm signal appliances(A117.1/NFPA)which is 80"mim,96"max A.F.F.?

ryan_618

I don't what to tell you, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch to call an exit sign a visual or audible alarm. If you are looking at the ANSI, take a look at table 703.4.2.4. It doesn't address exit signs per sa, but signs located between 10' to 21'could be compliant with accessibility provisions.

:eek: :confused:

jkim780

Originally posted by ryan_618:
I don't what to tell you, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch to call an exit sign a visual or audible alarm. If you are looking at the ANSI, take a look at table 703.4.2.4. It doesn't address exit signs per sa, but signs located between 10' to 21'could be compliant with accessibility provisions.

:eek: :confused:
Ryan, What is accessiblitity provisions?

ryan_618

When used in context with a building code or the ANSI, accessible means that it is usable to people with disabilities.

In the above example, I bring it up because accessibility provisions are much more stringent that other requirements. Example: The nec doesn't care at what elevation you install a general use snap switch. The ANSI A117.1 does care and will not allow you to install more than 48" AFF. That is an accessibility provision.

websparky

With the exception of California, there isn't any height maximum in terms of a measurement.

2002 NFPA 101 Life Safety Code
7.10.1.7* Visibility.
Every sign required in Section 7.10 shall be located and of such size, distinctive color, and design that it is readily visible and shall provide contrast with decorations, interior finish, or other signs. No decorations, furnishings, or equipment that impairs visibility of a sign shall be permitted. No brightly illuminated sign (for other than exit purposes), display, or object in or near the line of vision of the required exit sign that could detract attention from the exit sign shall be permitted.

bwyllie

I just dealt with this on a project and I know the the minimum head room for a means of egress I believe is either 7' or 7'-6". Therefore the bottom of the exit sign should be at least above that height.

Status
Not open for further replies.