Exit Signs Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterelect1

Question: Is there a requirement in NFPA 101,or elsewhere, that REQUIRES that exit signs in the interior section of a building be of the type that have the directional arrows which obviously direct occupants toward the nearest safe exit. The type that has been used throughout the building states "exit" which I believe is the type that would be mounted directly above the door.

There is ambiguity with the type of signs that have been installed.

I can only enforce a sign change on the GC/EC if I have some ammo.

Thanks in advance,
John

kkwong

Both the IBC and the IFC cover this, I am not as familier with NFPA 101 (we do not enforce it in CA), however, in CA the distance between exit signs is to be no more than 150' (I think) and must correspond with the path of egress. That tells me that I need to punch out the arrows if there is a change in the egress pathway. I know it is in the CBC Chpt. 10 and in the CFC Art. 12.

masterelect1

Are arrows required?

Are arrows required?

The gist of the question is directional arrows (on the exit sign) which direct one to the exit.
Are they required ?

muskiedog

NFPA 101 4.5.3.3 Awareness of egress system

NFPA 101 4.5.3.3 Awareness of egress system

Every exit shall be clearly visible, or the route to reach every exit shall be conspicuosly indicated. Each means of egress, in its entirety, shall be arranged or marked so that the way to a place of safety is indicated in a clear manner.

Hope this helps

muskiedog

OSHA has their take on it too

OSHA has their take on it too

Exit Routes, Emergency Action Plans, and Fire Prevention Plans
? Standard Number: 1910.37
? Title: Maintenance, safeguards, and operational features for exit routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.