Experience powering Boom & Scissor Lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyPElec

Occupation
EE
Anyone here have experience powering maintenace equipment such as Boom and Scissor lifts from companies like JLG for warehouses and manufacturing plants, I'm working on some stuff for a client and the cutsheets I have say nothing about the power needed to charge the batteries that power this equipment, and I don't want to just assume they can go on dedicated 120V, 20 amp circuits

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Every one I've seen has a 120V 15A plug. They are basically a battery charging system. That being said, it is always prudent to look at the specific items to make sure they are what you think they are. I would think you can probably charge two of them on a 120V 20A circuit.

You can often put two chargers on one 20a circuit, but don't start them at the same time (there's usually a peak draw for a few seconds before the charger settles down).

IIRC most of the chargers do 20-25amps at battery voltage, so even for a 36v stack, that's still under 1kw.

kwired

Electron manager
I think a lot of those are kind of designed to be favorable to use by construction industry and that makes them more universal to use most anywhere if they plug into a 5-15 receptacle, and the charging equipment is already on board most the time as well.

I suppose it could be possible to get models with faster charging ability with higher voltages/higher input amps or even with three phase input. I have seen 480 volt three phase input chargers for forklifts

Status
Not open for further replies.