Explanation of a Code Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTomasiewicz

Hello everyone, we have a discrepancy with a code question regarding the height of electrical boxes in residential. My Instructor said that there wasn't anything in the code that gives heights. I went to 404.8 (A) and it explained the locations required for switches. (No more than 6ft 7in). Is my instructor correct or am I correct regarding this code question?

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know if they intended this to apply to general use snap switches or not, the way it is worded includes all switches. Seen it violated a lot if it is intended to apply to general use snap switches. There are some exceptions in the section referenced, but still seen many that don't fit an exception intentionally placed out of general reach for otherwise good design reasons.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Your question was about boxes. The instructor would be correct, if that really was the intent. There is no code requirement for installing a box. Now, what you later put into that box is another matter. You are right about the height limit, if a switch is to go into the box.

Adamjamma

I have seen outlets put in near the ceiling for projectors and other things...The Disabilities act gives some recommendations but other than requirements over counters you pretty much have a minimum height and recommended heights

480sparky

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(4) Located more than 1.7 m (5½ ft) above the floor.

So, the upper limit is 5½ feet.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So, the upper limit is 5½ feet.

Hmmm, the way I read it is that if it's no more than 5-1/2 feet above the floor it counts for your no-point-more-than-6-feet-away, otherwise it doesn't, not that you can't mount a receptacle above 5-1/2 feet.

JFletcher

GFCI receptacles have to be readily accessible, so putting one in your garage in a 10-foot ceiling for the garage door opener and having everything downstream from that is not going to fly.

So you're both correct, and both wrong. There is no height for outlet boxes, however what you may ultimately put in that may make the box location a violation.

Edited to add... There is no NEC or building code minimums, however ADA requirements may very well come into play. In the case of the latter, box heights are far more regulated.

Welcome to The Forum.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
GFCI receptacles have to be readily accessible, so putting one in your garage in a 10-foot ceiling for the garage door opener and having everything downstream from that is not going to fly.

So you're both correct, and both wrong. There is no height for outlet boxes, however what you may ultimately put in that may make the box location a violation.

Edited to add... There is no NEC or building code minimums, however ADA requirements may very well come into play. In the case of the latter, box heights are far more regulated.

Welcome to The Forum.

I dunno, that's why they make broom handles. :D

kwired

Electron manager
receptacles higher than 5.5 feet are not prohibited, but they can't count as a 210.52(A) required receptacle. Those more than 20" above a counter can't count as a 210.52(C) receptacle

kwired

Electron manager
Is this a true statement? I don't think so.
I can see someone saying that not realizing there is a maximum height that is higher than what most would ordinarily desire for general use. When it comes to placement of general use switches there is only that maximum height, unless ADA or other codes that may apply have additional requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.