Exploding Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

engy

Just got a call from my church.
Last night some ballasts "exploded" and started a fire. (Luckily Pastor was there and called 911)
These are (were) 4' 2-lamp fixtures (Mag ballasts) in a cove lighting application.

Back when I was a sparky, I remember changing out failed ballasts, some were baked - goo coming out, but never dealt with one that "exploded" and caught fire...

Very uncommon? Ever seen before?

This was in the older "Phase I" part of the church. (15 years)

A month or so ago in the brand new "Phase III" part of our church, we had some track lighting catastrophically fail at the feed to the track.

Just Bad Luck? I'm starting to wonder...

[ September 23, 2005, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: engy ]

bphgravity

Re: Exploding Ballasts

When equipment fails, it can be destructive and explosive. Equipment and devices require maintenance and servicing just like any other dynamic system.

A ballast may last 20 years, but that same ballast may only last 5 years. It just can't be assumed that since the equipment or device is working that it is going to keep working without a major failure or event.

tshea

What denomination church? Some are more prone to electrical catastrophes then others :D :D :D

Never saw an exploded ballast. Maybe a "massive power surge?" (When in doubt blame the poco :D )

The track could be loose wires, or...

I agree, tho, most failed ballasts from yester-year had the "goo" coming out. Now they are just boat anchors.

engy

Thanks, let me see if I got this straight.
1. Start a company that maintains/services ballasts. :D
3. Use fried ballasts as boat anchors. ;)

kentirwin

The closest thing I've ever seen to a ballast exploding was a fluorescent sign ballast that had a small hole blown through the case. I've seen wrong voltages supplied and never seen anything more than smoke and a nasty aroma.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I have seen the older electromagnetic ballast just fry with smoke coming out of them. Hopefully, newer ballasts will have fewer problems. It can't cost more than a nickel to incorporate a thermal shutoff in these.

Steve

eprice

engy,

you said "some" ballasts exploded. By "some", I assume more than one and probably more than two? What are the chances of more than one ballast failing in a violent way on the same night without an external cause??

allenwayne

Exploding ballasts,track lighting devistating,if the water in the baptismal tub parts get out of town :D
Sorry but I couldn`t pass that one up,what was it that FLIP Wilson always said ???? Oh yeah The devil made me do it :eek:

allenwayne

eprice you posted as I was writing but maybe there is a loose neutral and it is part of a MWBC that could send 240 to the ballasts and the ones closest to the point of failure might bear the brunt of the voltage,just a thought
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.