Explosion Proof Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsva@aol.com

We need to get air lines into an Appleton explosion proof enclosure. Does anyone have any helpful links or thoughts on this. The air lines go to field mounted air operated valves and the solenoids are in the box. Trying to do some research before I get someone to do this for us. I just want to know more about what I am asking someone else to do.

[ December 21, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: dcsva@aol.com ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Explosion Proof Enclosure

Why are those items in an explosionproof enclosure? Solenoids for Class I Division I are commonly available. The explosionproof enclosure would be far more costly than the upgrade from standard solenoids. Also if the area is Class I Division II, then standard solenoids can be used without explosionproof enclosures.
Don

[ December 21, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Sounds like something you should rethink, I'm not even sure its "legal". Off hand I don't know that you can get explosionproof air aluminum air fittings to bring the airlines in and out of the enclosure.

A simpler choice is a pressurized enclosure or explosion proof solenoid valves.

friebel

All of the information that you have received is good, and I am going to give you my viewpoint.
What is the Electrical Classification of the area that you are dealing with? You have got to know this first. Is it Class 1, Division 1, Group A,B,C,D. or is it Class 1, Division 2, Group A,B,C,D. It makes a world of difference between the two. If you are not familiar with what I am talking about, you need to get someone who is familiar with Electrical Hazardous Locations.
I have worked in the Chemical industry for 45 years and in that time, I have helped to do a great of electrical classification.
Many times I have seen people say, "it is an explosion proof area, and I need explosion proof equipment". After checking into what they had they had a Class 1, Division 2, Group A,B,C,D. There is a world of difference between the Division 1, Division 2, and you need to understand the difference.
I would be glad to assist you in anyway that I can.

dcsva@aol.com

You guys are great and I appreciate all the input.
Friebel,
The area is Class 1 Div 1
The installation and the solenoids are rated Class 1 Div 1.
I just couldn't visualize how to get those airlines into the box. The box is not even needed.
Thanks for willingness to assist. That is why I turn this website whenever I need to see through the fog.
Doug

friebel

To: dcsva@aol.com
Now that we know that your area is a Class 1 Division 1, classification, there are some methods that you can implement to install ordinary solenoid valves, and that would be a lot cheaper. Also, your maintenance electrician would not be working on electrical circuits in a Class 1,Division 1 area.
You could install the solenoid valves in a area that does not have a Class 1, Division 1
classification, and then run your air lines to your valves. This is just a thought, and it would all depend on how far that you needed to run the air lines to get to a classification that is not a Class 1, Division 1 area.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

You could install the solenoid valves in a area that does not have a Class 1, Division 1
classification, and then run your air lines to your valves.
Just remember that there will be a delay between the operation of the solenoid and the valve. In most cases this is not important, but sometimes it is.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.