explosion proof exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan19403

a customer is constructing an area in their basement for refurbishing furniture, etc. They plan on using stains, varnishes, paints etc.

They wish to have a ducted exhaust fan to remove the fumes of their work. I believe that they require an explosion proof exhaust fan.

There are open joists in which I believe that a fan can be mounted ant ducted to the outside of the house.

My local supply house is having a difficult time locating a fan that will fit my application.

There was some contention that I do not even need to pipe in an explosion proof fan -- another electrician informed the customer that a standard Nutone QT300 (300cfm) would be safely sufficient -- i don't agree do to the fact that it is located in a basement, and that flammable vapors will be going throughout the fan mechanism and motor assemby & housing. The nearest recepts. and lights are located at a minimum of 6' away from the "work area" ( piped in to 24" above the floor ).

I'd appreciate some feedback and opinion.

Thanks,

Dan

rrrusty

Re: explosion proof exhaust fan

Grainger has some hazardous Location Fans(#6D581) etc. that might fit the bill; They recommend not using a motorized shutter assy; Another way that what you want done is to run metal duct work to the exterior and then put your exhaust fan outside so the fan will draw the fumes instead of pushing them and ducting the exhaust away from the fan if you feel the air around the fan will allow the fumes to collect; Also where you exhaust the fan to the exterior make sure you are 3' or more from any windows or doors that open per ubc

russh

Re: explosion proof exhaust fan

The UFC does not permit the use, dispensing or mixing of flammable or combustible liquids in basments classified by the Building Code as Group H Division 2 or 3. This job could have the potential for a lot of liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.