Explosion Proof Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
A conduit fitting has a Class I Div 2 and Class II Div 1 & 2 and Class 3 Div 1 & 2 rating and is suitable for hazardous locations. Is this also considered explosion proof?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A conduit fitting has a Class I Div 2 and Class II Div 1 & 2 and Class 3 Div 1 & 2 rating and is suitable for hazardous locations. Is this also considered explosion proof?
Probably not. Most Class I, Division 2 conduit bodies are not required to be explosion proof and Class 2 and 3 conduit bodies are never required to be explosion proof. Most standard conduit bodies with a close fitting cover and or a gasket would be suitable for the locations in you question.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A minor side comment: [NEC 2008] Section 500.8 (C) and its FPN indicate that a fitting marked "Class I, Division 2" is only acceptable in Division 2. So, even if it were by some extremely unlikely chance "explosionproof," it would still not be acceptable in Division 1.

A minor side comment: [NEC 2008] Section 500.8 (C) and its FPN indicate that a fitting marked "Class I, Division 2" is only acceptable in Division 2. So, even if it were by some extremely unlikely chance "explosionproof," it would still not be acceptable in Division 1.

To further elaborate: 'explosionproof' means that the device is capable to contain and internal explosion and safely relive the explosion overpressure without igniting the outside atmosphere. It is more likely to be a device - in a fitting - that is listed for a Div. 2 location than the fitting itself as ordinary fittings are sufficient for such locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.