Explosion Proof Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was just asked an interesting question................can you install a CFL in an explosion proof fixture.

personally I don't see the issue.

Jim

My answer would be what type of lamps does the explosion proof fixture instructions say you should use? If it does not exclude CFL, I would say you are OK.

I would point out however, that it seems to me that I have seen XP fixtures that are referred to as incandescent fixtures and others as CFL fixtures, so I am guessing at least for that manufacturer, the answer would be no.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/killa...milyHome.htm?FAM=KillarkLighting#incandescent

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/killark/KILLARK_Lighting_FamilyHome.htm?FAM=KillarkLighting#compact

muckusmc

I may be wrong, but as per those links from Hubbel it looks like the CFL fixtures all have bases that are larger than the incadescents. I would think these are for cooling purposes.
CFL bases do generate heat. Just my thoughts.

I was just asked an interesting question................can you install a CFL in an explosion proof fixture.

personally I don't see the issue.

Jim

The simple answer is no, unless the fixture has been tested and listed with the light source. That would also mean LED replacements.

It is of course only for legalistic, not technical reasons. Both mentioned light sources generate less heat.

KentAT

My view was that a fixture listed as an incandescent fixture cannot use CFL bulbs.

Eighteen months ago, I informally asked one manufacturer about using CFLs in their EV-series hazardous location fixtures, since they are described and listed as incandescent fixtures. For CYA or whatever, the mfg. would not recommend nor approve the use of CFLs in the fixtures due to that use would be violating the UL listing.

Same time, same verbal question to different manufacturer by one of my coworkers:
-- they [the mfg.] will accept CFL use, but only in their Class I Division 1 units (even if not specifically rated for CFL use) since they consider the ballast in the CFL an arcing device.
-- CFLs could not be used in their Class I Division 2 fixtures unless specifically rated for that location.
-- for incandescent Class I Division 1 fixtures, the nameplate information would change which stated incandescent use. The mfg. thinks this might cause confusion with the type of light installation. The technician changing the light bulb would just have to know he should install a CFL.

Since I have Class 1, Div 1 & 2 areas, I personally would not install a CFL lamp in a fixture that was not specifically listed for use of that type of lamp.

Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.