exposed ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Investigating a possible electrocution that happened while a kitchen worker was hosing down the kitchen. Only evidence found of exposed wiring was an exposed ground wire serving a steamer. Could this have cause an electrocution? the worker had a tingling sensation in his hand and is ok.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you need to be more clear in your choice of words. The word "electrocution" means a person is dead. If the person was shocked, but lived, then just say "shocked."

Also, when you say "ground wire," do you mean "equipment grounding conductor"? If so, a person should not be shocked by touching it, nor by spraying water on it. On the other hand, it should not be visible anyway. The EGC is supposed to be in the same conduit, or within the same cable jacket, as the phase conductors.

Can you please clarify your question?

bwyllie

follow up

follow up

Thanks Charlie, appreciate your comments and questions. The person was reportedly shocked. The exposed equipment ground wire was exposed thru the insulation of the cord.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That would not cause a shock by itself. There is more to the story.

Perhaps the equipment has a "high impedance short circuit," in addition to the damages cord. What I mean is that it might have a short from the hot conductors to the case, but the short is not a solid metal-to-metal connection. There may be some resistance in the short circuit path. That could cause current to flow in the EGC, but not enough current to trip the breaker. Then, when the worker sprayed water on the damaged cord, it created a current path from the EGC (that is carrying some amount of current), through the water spray, and into the person's hands.

Another explanation is that there may be more damage to the cord than just the insulation exposing the EGC. There might also be insulation damage exposing a hot conductor.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You use the phrase "hosing down". I assume that means they were spraying water from a hose on the walls, or floor, or other stuff. Are the receptacles wet location? I suspect if you sprayed water directly at a regular receptacle, you might feel a shock.

Steve

growler

Old superstition: Tingling sensation in the hand means that you are going to handle money, in this case it may be correct.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
growler said:
Old superstition: Tingling sensation in the hand means that you are going to handle money, in this case it may be correct.
What does it mean if I have a tingling in my . . .

Oh, never mind! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.