Exposed metal parts/lugs within enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I sort of asked this in another thread but thought I'd be more explicit here.

I am wondering if there is anything in the code on exposed lugs in say, a disconnect enclosure. We're supplied the rubber lug covers with load centers now. Are those a code requirement or just the manufacture getting on board with best practice?

If I tap a feeder in a disconnect I know its a good idea to tape it up or use provided plastic covers, but is there a requirement to do so?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I sort of asked this in another thread but thought I'd be more explicit here.

I am wondering if there is anything in the code on exposed lugs in say, a disconnect enclosure. We're supplied the rubber lug covers with load centers now. Are those a code requirement or just the manufacture getting on board with best practice?

If I tap a feeder in a disconnect I know its a good idea to tape it up or use provided plastic covers, but is there a requirement to do so?
That is a code requirement for service equipment found in 230.62 in the 2020 code so it applies to all service equipment. The rule was in 408.3(A)(2) in the 2017 code, but since it was in 408, the line side barrier rule only applied to panelboards, switchboards and switchgear. With the 2020 change it applies to all types of service equipment.
It looks like there may be additional requirements for feeder connections in the 2023 code. There are PIs that, if accepted, would require line side barriers on feeder disconnects.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
That is a code requirement for service equipment found in 230.62 in the 2020 code so it applies to all service equipment. The rule was in 408.3(A)(2) in the 2017 code, but since it was in 408, the line side barrier rule only applied to panelboards, switchboards and switchgear. With the 2020 change it applies to all types of service equipment.
It looks like there may be additional requirements for feeder connections in the 2023 code. There are PIs that, if accepted, would require line side barriers on feeder disconnects.
Might be what the Leviton panel is gearing up for. The have a panel that all circuits are terminated on a bus connections before any breakers are attached no wiring onto breaker, it just plug onto bus. It has other features too. Just not sure about these new products, had discussion about them on another thread here.

paulengr

Taping up connections makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot or inspect. Use tape where it is required such as with bolted lug connections, not just wherever. It just looks like sloppy poor workmanship. I do occasionally tape lugs but only when it is clear that clearances are insufficient as far as the air gap. Some equipment spacings with lug connections are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.