Exposed wire connections in potentially wet location

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

As a new inspector I have a question.

I have come across a plunge pool installation where all electrical connections are made in a small area immediately next to and below the pool.

I had concerns in this area since there were lighting fixtures whose pigtails were connected just via wirenut and left exposed in this area which is damp and could potentially get wet.

I am aware that the Code speaks that dry-niche fixtures do not require a junction box but what about this wet location and aren't all splices to be done in a junction box?

the electricians argument is that;

1. That is a 12v light circuit

2. The light fixture has a 6inch lead to which the transformer is connected by wire nuts that came with the light fixture

3. The light fixture has no means to connect a conduit

What does the code say about this? Is this an allowable installation?

mcclary's electrical

As a new inspector I have a question.

I have come across a plunge pool installation where all electrical connections are made in a small area immediately next to and below the pool.

I had concerns in this area since there were lighting fixtures whose pigtails were connected just via wirenut and left exposed in this area which is damp and could potentially get wet.

I am aware that the Code speaks that dry-niche fixtures do not require a junction box but what about this wet location and aren't all splices to be done in a junction box?

the electricians argument is that;

1. That is a 12v light circuit

2. The light fixture has a 6inch lead to which the transformer is connected by wire nuts that came with the light fixture

3. The light fixture has no means to connect a conduit

What does the code say about this? Is this an allowable installation?

The installation sounds compliant to me since it's 12 volt.

KasseemF

Clarification

Clarification

So once it is a 12V circuit the exposed splice is fine? even in the wet location?

is there is a code reference?

OTT2

Check out Article 411 Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less.

411.4(B) - Pools, Spas, Fountains, and Similar Locations.
Lighting systems shall be installed not less than (10 ft) horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680.

If these luminaires are not listed for this location they cannot be installed there, period.

mcclary's electrical

Check out Article 411 Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less.

411.4(B) - Pools, Spas, Fountains, and Similar Locations.
Lighting systems shall be installed not less than (10 ft) horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680.

If these luminaires are not listed for this location they cannot be installed there, period.

Do you really think this is a wet location??, because it seems to have changed from a damp location when the op started, to a wet location somewhere in the next breath

OTT2

Do you really think this is a wet location??, because it seems to have changed from a damp location when the op started, to a wet location somewhere in the next breath

I would be more concerned about the luminaires proximity to the pool than if it's wet vs. damp. Regardless this luminaire should be listed for the location.

Also, if it truly is a class 2 circuit the luminaire or at least the power supply should have a marking to indicate this 725.154. Which still doesn't allow it to be there!

Just my opinion!!

KasseemF

The light is rated for the location. I kno the article 300 it says that all connections and splices should be rated for wet location. what type is splice irs rated for wet location?

Status
Not open for further replies.