Ext. cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
At a frat house today. The inspector said they can have "no" extention cords.

Assuming everything , outlet spacing per code, is OK where could he come up with this violation?

Mike P.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Ext. cord?

See 400.8 uses permitted.
I would suggest plug strips with a built in circuit breaker. I buy them in a metal case type, listed, with a 15 ft cord. Fire inspectors like plug strips.

bphgravity

Colleges have some real tuff facility and dorm rules. I know that the University of Central Florida has a ban on extension cords, bulbs rated over 75-watt, and adapters that plug into receptacles that allow several plugs to be installed. I do think plug strips are allowed, not sure? The last thing a college wants is 100 students being burned alive from and electrical fire. It is certainly not an NEC thing.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jxofaltrds:At a frat house today. The inspector said they can have "no" extention cords.
May I ask, ?What kind of inspector?? When I attended college, the dorm (we didn?t have frats) was already decades old, and the wiring could not support a stereo, a fridge, a hot plate (ok, I just admitted my age, we didn?t have microwaves yet), and a dozen lamps in each room. So they put restrictions on our use of electrical equipment. The school had the right to stop by from time to time, to ?inspect? (i.e., to make sure we were in compliance). But this is not a ?code? issue. So long as there is no clear violation of the rule on ?uses not permitted,? as Tom has cited, no Electrical Inspector can have anything to say about there being extension cords in the room.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

That's what I wanted to hear.

I am trying to help these guys out. I was just down there to "fix" a couple of things.

The cords do not bother me I just wanted to know if this was a violation.

Everytime I take a step I see another "life threatening" problem.

How these kids have not been hurt is beyond me.

Just one example then I will stop: The EE student decide to replace some oulets. 2prong to 3. The only one he got to work had reversed polarity. When I arrived Monday the stereo equipment was plugged-in. This is in a below grade room and within 10' is standing water. The case of the reciever was "hot".

I could go on and on and on.

I do not know what kind of inspector. I was not there.

Mike P.

PS. I told the EE student that I would break his arms if he touched anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.