Extended service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
whenever someone quotes a code to me I make a habit of looking it up to verify. I was told on an extended service the disconnect has to be located within 25’. To my knowledge the only code that would apply say it has to be readily accessible…?

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
Also while I’m on questions… going to install a 60kw whole home generator w/ auto transfer switch. Due to xyz the easiest way to run it would be running utility power from load side of disconnect in a 400a meter main. I don’t see any issues with that. Only downside is if the main is shut off the generator would sense loss of utility and turn on, but code wise not sure there is anything wrong with that setup.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not clear on this
Running utility power on load side of main disconnect.,,
Maybe feeder on load side of service disconnect
Having service disconnect ahead of ATS means ATS does not have to be service entrance rated
By the 60 kw is very large generator for a dwelling unit. Did you do a load calc?

Dale lee

Occupation
Electrician
Not clear on this
Having service disconnect ahead of ATS means ATS does not have to be service entrance rated
By the 60 kw is very large generator for a dwelling unit. Did you do a load calc?
Yes service disconnect
Not clear on this
sorry, yes feeder on load side of service disconnect. And 60 kw is rediculous considering 400a spit service, 200a panel x2 full of mainly 20a circuits as the entire house is gas. But the oss claims it’s “necessary”. Glad I’m not paying that bill. Not really sure what you mean by “doesn’t have to be service entrance rated”. Just was wondering if there is a code reason we could not do it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes service disconnect

sorry, yes feeder on load side of service disconnect. And 60 kw is rediculous considering 400a spit service, 200a panel x2 full of mainly 20a circuits as the entire house is gas. But the oss claims it’s “necessary”. Glad I’m not paying that bill. Not really sure what you mean by “doesn’t have to be service entrance rated”. Just was wondering if there is a code reason we could not do it.
You should look at the actual connected load, check the poco bills, Your connected load is likely 100 amps. A 60 KW is way oversized and will run unloaded, a generator needs to be loaded 60-75%, heat up the unit, oil, etc
A common generator ATS install method is to go straight from the meter to the ATS, so the ATS is called service entrance rated, Its a nicer install when there is a disconnect ahead of the ATS.
With your split service and 2 200 amp panels you will either need a 400 amp TS $$$, or put all the genny loads on one 200 A panel, with one ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.