Extending cable run in confined brick chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Hey folks,

I've run into an awkward cabling problem and would appreciate suggestions on how to tackle this one.

Should be an easy job: I just need to terminate 12/2 AC to a 4" metal box. The conductors are long enough to enter the box, but the problem is the cable jacket comes up short of the box about two inches. I can't easily re-run the cable or move the box, as both are plastered into a shallow brick chase.

My current thinking is to run the conductors in EMT for the last foot or so, using a low-profile EMT/AC transition coupling (e.g., Bridgestone 280SP). This will work, but is far from ideal as it requires deepening the chase to accommodate the fittings and EMT, and making precise offset bends in the EMT to line up with the box.

Appreciate any suggestions folks here may have on better options!

Thanks,

Noel

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why does this sound so familiar? Didn't you like the previous answers?

You could try an MC connector screwed into a threaded coupling with a chase nipple in the box.

Like this, but with your connector hitting the coupling instead of the conduit shown here:

1674004301569.png

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Larry, great idea - thank you. And yes, apologies this topic is coming up in two separate posts ... my first post (in the NEC forum) was to confirm code compliance, but now I'm on site and realizing that approach is more difficult to install than I expected, so am looking for alternate options.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're welcome. If it's still a bit short, you could use a short nipple and a couple of locknuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.