Extending SE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
If an SE cable had to be moved because of an addition of a window, is there an adapter of sorts that would allow you to splice an additional length of SE cable on? Or is that prohibited?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If an SE cable had to be moved because of an addition of a window, is there an adapter of sorts that would allow you to splice an additional length of SE cable on? Or is that prohibited?

If you are against just buying a new run of cable, how about mounting a disconnect and using it for a junction box? I don't think you will find any splicing devices that don't require an enclosure.

JFletcher

A feeder can be spliced inside of an appropriately sized enclosure. You are not going to find something like a giant Tyco in-wall splice for SE cable that doesn't require a box

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
Buying new cable is almost never the actual concern.

What is this SE cable feeding? Panel? Dryer?

Cable is feeding panel, from weather head.
It runs close to a window.
Electrical inspector passed it but said power company may not install meter because it is less than 3 feet from window.
But code says, I believe, if it’s sheathed, it’s ok.

WarrMann

Electrical inspector passed it but said power company may not install meter because it is less than 3 feet from window.
You mean the actual service entrance cable? Not just an SE cable. Im guessing this is an older home.

You can't "splice" that cable, it needs to be an unbroken conductor from the service point to the first disconnect in a house.

What has the inspector passed already if you're looking for suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
You mean the actual service entrance cable? Not just an SE cable. Im guessing this is an older home.

You can't "splice" that cable, it needs to be an unbroken conductor from the service point to the first disconnect in a house.

What has the inspector passed already if you're looking for suggestions?

Outside of local rules, NEC doesn't prohibit splicing this cable. If it is on POCO side of the meter then POCO may not allow a splice - but primarily because it can be an easier access point to steal power and not so much for any safety reasons.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Outside of local rules, NEC doesn't prohibit splicing this cable. If it is on POCO side of the meter then POCO may not allow a splice - but primarily because it can be an easier access point to steal power and not so much for any safety reasons.

However, it is common to wire down the wall from a service point to a wireway and feed several meters from there.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC only prohibits "open conductors" within certain distances of building openings. And distance above such openings is less than sides or below. Conductors in a cable sheath or in a raceway are not considered "open conductors" leaving this rule mostly applying to overhead service conductors and the open connections of them made to conductors emerging from a raceway or cable.

WarrMann

You're right, 230.33.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

As long as the drip loop is 3 feet from a window you are fine. Power company may have other rules but a meter base can be right next to a window and so can the se cable per NEC. Another reason to run the drop in PVC rather than cable. I can hear Iwire screaming.... he loves se cable

Fmkehoe

Occupation
Inspector
NEC only prohibits "open conductors" within certain distances of building openings. And distance above such openings is less than sides or below. Conductors in a cable sheath or in a raceway are not considered "open conductors" leaving this rule mostly applying to overhead service conductors and the open connections of them made to conductors emerging from a raceway or cable.”

This is what I mean. SE cable is not open. Right???

kwired

Electron manager
NEC only prohibits "open conductors" within certain distances of building openings. And distance above such openings is less than sides or below. Conductors in a cable sheath or in a raceway are not considered "open conductors" leaving this rule mostly applying to overhead service conductors and the open connections of them made to conductors emerging from a raceway or cable.”

This is what I mean. SE cable is not open. Right???

When you strip the outer sheath off to connect to the service drop, you have open conductors. Cable with sheath intact is not open conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.