extending service entrance conductors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I worked at a flip house for someone today and noticed in the house service panel, the 4/0 AL entrance conductors have been extended 5 inches some time ago using I'm assuming crimps. They were covered with black plastic snap around covers, so I couldn't really see. But have you experienced an inspector allowing this? I will probably tell the owner that a home inspector will probably write that up when he sells. Am I correct? Thank you.

iwire

Staff member
I worked at a flip house for someone today and noticed in the house service panel, the 4/0 AL entrance conductors have been extended 5 inches some time ago using I'm assuming crimps. They were covered with black plastic snap around covers, so I couldn't really see. But have you experienced an inspector allowing this? I will probably tell the owner that a home inspector will probably write that up when he sells. Am I correct? Thank you.

As far as the NEC.

230.46 Spliced Conductors. Service-entrance conductors shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped in accordance with 110.14, 300.5(E), 300.13, and 300.15.

A power company might have a rule prohibiting it but I don't know of any that do in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.