Extension cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can i run a extension cord stapled to celling of my garage for a garage door opener ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Can i run a extension cord stapled to celling of my garage for a garage door opener ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Don’t staple it, use Duct Tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If you are suggesting surface mount of a cord why not just do it right with an allowed wire mold, boxes and receptacle?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If the ceiling is sheetrocked the staples will not hold.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Note that the poster states he is an "electrical contractor". You, as an electrician, would know it does not meet Code. He, as a contractor, looks at costs :) :)
Note that the poster said "my garage door opener" ;).
I agree with what you said.
As a home owner he just wants it to work ;)
I feel for him.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What code article prohibits this 2011 nec.
That's sort of a good question. Many people here claim that anything plugged into an outlet like an extension cord, is utilization equipment and thus not part of the electrical installation, so not subject to the code.

I think it is a good argument.

In any case, it is not an unsafe thing to do in this case, so I would not be all that worried about it. It is no worse than running NM across the ceiling which probably no one would object to.

Status
Not open for further replies.