extension rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: extension rings

No, as long as they are installed within compliance to their listing and grounding and bonding is made in accordance to Article 250.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Nope no restricition on amount that cab used,if the situations so many wires in a small box,what i do is take all the wires straight out the original 4 sq and pair the off make my joints so the wires dont get tangled in each other then place extension untill i cover the wire nuts alot of extra work but a clean installation if you ever have to get back in there,is is so sweet

tpwd

if you have to use extention rings..and it is new work, you didn't use the proper box in the first place...most inspectors will turn down the work for not using the correct box...extention rings are for remodels or repairs...using more than one is not a good idea, you should try and replace the existing box if possible...but if you can't, use two....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

tpwd,
Please cite the code section that an inspector can use to red tag an extension ring used in new construction.

Note that no matter how many extension rings are installed you still have to comply with 300.14. That is the wires must extend at least 3" past the last extension ring if the box opening is less than 8" in either dimension.
Don

bennie

Esteemed Member

Don: With the extension rings being removable, does the 3 inch dimension still apply?

Los Angeles code, in the old days, allowed for extension boxes, but did not allow an increase in wire fill from the original box area.

The LA code also did not count the switch ring volume for wire count, box only allowed.

renosteinke

Attention webmaster! This post, and many others, does not belong in "AFCI." Perhaps a catecory can be addad for "tips & techniques," or some such thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.