Exterior Emergency Egress Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I know this is a building code issue (IBC), but is anyone requiring (or finding that they are required to provide) exterior emergency egress light fixtures with battery packs?

Steve

Re: Exterior Emergency Egress Lights

In California, DSA (Department of State Architect) plan reviews all school work. They have required us to have exterior emergency lights for egress from assembly areas (usually the gym) to the public sidewalk or street. But I have never had a local building dept/inspector require this.

Tom

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Well, the requirement is in the IBC for anything that requires two exits, and I have been requiring them. I just wondered if anyone else was.

Steve

JES2727

I recently completed a fit-out for a deli in an existing strip mall. I was required by the inspector to install emergency egress lights on the exterior at the back door.

John

volt101

One of the biggest mistakes that the electricians/engineers make around here is to put a single lamp on the exterior side of the building. Must of forgot that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a light bulb, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination.

Jim

sceepe

I have been installing battery packs on all exterior exits, The code actually requires emergency lighting to the public right of way; not just on the outside of the building. However, this is seldom inforced. Pretty much eliminates anything but compact fluorscent. Also, watch out in cold climates, need special ballasts and batteries for fluorescents if it gets too cold. What a mess.

Jim, where does IBC require multiple lamps, ballasts etc.? I may be guilty of your one lamp design.

raider1

Staff member

Another thing you need to keep in mind is 700.12 (E). This says "The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be the same branch circuit as that serving the normal lighting in the area and connected ahead of any local switches."

This requirement seems to be missed a lot.

Chris.

volt101

Raider,
When talking about the same circuit that feeds the normal lighting, it is the parking lot lighting that normally applies here. You are right about it also being a common deficiency around here, I see it tied to the entryway lighting fequantly.
Jim

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I have not been requiring two lamps. For two reasons:

1. I'm not sure the definition of "space" includes an exterior space.

2. I'm not sure an outdoor space is ever in total darkness even without artificial light.

Steve

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by steve66:
I know this is a building code issue (IBC), but is anyone requiring (or finding that they are required to provide) exterior emergency egress light fixtures with battery packs?

Steve
Yeah, the inspector brought that up to me. I told him I couldn't find that. I believe I did find that in the code, lemme look, because that was a code offical comment. You never know, because that was that inspector from hell!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.