Exterior Lighitng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

?

?

Ok I understand this would create a delta connection but how would removing one phase create a series connection between the other two? Does this mean this arrangement will not operate properly? Where can I find a wiring diagram similar to this to help me visualize it.

crossman

Here ya go: If contact B is open, then A phase and C phase feed light 3 directly with 480 volts. A phase will also feed light 1, through the wiring to light 2, through light 2 to C phase. Both lights 1 and 2 will have voltage on them, but it will be 480 in series with the 2 lights, giving half voltage on each. If there are differing numbers of lights/impedances at 1 and 2 in the diagram, the voltage will not actually split exactly in half. Perhaps one load could see 200 volts, the other 280 volts, or whatever.

lightdelta.jpg

rkess

Mike01 said:
If you had a 480v-3ph lighting circuit and each pole with 2 luminaires was phased per head per pole and you interrupted one of the phases what would happen? I have come across a wiring diagram that shows a contactor interrupt ring the b phase of the three phase exterior lighting circuit to decrease the number of luminaires on after 1:00am but what would happen to the ballasts / luminaires that were still served by the one energized phase? Would this arrangement work?:-?

Im thinking that there is only two heads on the pole one head is wired
across phases "a" and "c" the other head is phase "b" and either "a" or "c"

Status
Not open for further replies.