exterior light fixture installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

clh

Has anyone ever sealed the canopy of a wall mounted exterior light fixture to the wall surface? Most install instructions read that they shall be sealed with calking!

tonyi

Re: exterior light fixture installations

If you don't, water can get in, even more annoying perhaps is that wasps will nest in there if its on an irregular surface ex. brick face.

I always bring a spray can of Brakleen (the stuff for cleaning brake rotors and calipers) when dealing with anything outside<g> Drops'em quick with no oily residue like ordinary bee/wasp killers.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tonyi:
I always bring a spray can of Brakleen ........... Drops'em quick with no oily residue like ordinary bee/wasp killers.
Works even better if you have a lighter in the other hand. :D

bill addiss

Has anyone ever sealed the canopy of a wall mounted exterior light fixture to the wall surface?
Absolutely. Inspectors in my area wouldn't pass without having at least the top half of the Canopy caulked or ducsealed.

410.4(a).../ Luminaires (fixtures) installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed so that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments /...

Bill

batch

In a weatherproof box (Bellbox) do you use a sealant on the plugs?

Its required for wet locations per the listing for wet locations.

Curious how many do this. I am the ONLY person I know of personaly.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I have heard of it being required/written as a violation and I use monkey, ops duct seal, when I install a bell box or a similar product. But I always drill a small hole in the bottom of a bell box to let the water drain.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

... the top half of the Canopy caulked or ducsealed

Only problem is ducseal is going to last about a week. Caulking might last a bit longer. Aside from the fact that there is really no way to effectively seal a fixture to the wall the way it's built, the homeowner is going to have a fit with junk all over his brand new shiny fixture. I would have to agree, it looks like hell. So why bother? It's only going to leak anyway.

This is yet another case where the fixture manufacturers design their fixtures without regard for the NEC.

-Hal

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hbiss:
Only problem is ducseal is going to last about a week.
Hal where are you getting you duct seal?

You might try another brand. :D

I do agree it is tough to seal a typical outdoor wall sconce though. :roll:

bill addiss

Only problem is ducseal is going to last about a week. Caulking might last a bit longer.
Hal,

Not the best choice, but the Ducseal I've used seems to remain pliable for a long time. As far as Caulking goes here's some info I found for Silicone type:
Silicone
-lasts 12-30 years
-best adhesion
-use in seams, cracks, gaps up to 1/4"
-good for all surfaces
Bill

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The reason any kind of sealant doesn't last is not because of the sealant itself but because many times the fixture moves and breaks the seal. This is especially true of the ones with a formed sheet metal canopy. I had several over the winter that accumulated some ice. The little bit of extra weight bent them down off the wall. These were not cheap fixtures either.

Even with a cast fixture the same thing can happen due to the mounting plate or bracket that mounts the fixture to the box. Add vinyl siding, even with a mounting block, and I guarantee you that water will run into the canopy in a matter of months.

If the NEC wants the wiring compartments sealed they need to get on the manufacturers and UL to come up with a better design and mounting method. Seems the NEC wants a lot of things but isn't able or willing to get manufacturers to comply. Caulking or ducseal is just a "feel good" routine that really does nothing to solve the problem.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.