exterior only conduit run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitehm

I have to extend a residential 12 volt camera power cable from the point where it pops out of the back stucco wall over to the center of the patio cover ceiling. It's only about 4 feet. I will use a box at the initial exit point and a 90 deg elbow and conduit over to a second box to mount the camera in its new location. The cable is regular old 22/4 comm cable. Here are my questions:

1 - I'd like to use emt instead of ent tubing but I would like to use non metallic boxes if possible. Since it's low voltage and only on the exterior meaning non of this conduit work will penetrate into the house is this ok to mix the metallic conduit with the plastic boxes?

2- If NOT ok in quesiton 1 and I have to use metal boxes with the metal tubing, is there any bonding needed of the emt? Note that the 12 volt circuit inside the conduit is not grounded.

Any help and code reference appreciated.

hitehm

I don't know what your attraction is for plastic boxes but I see no reason you can't do what you propose. No reason to ground the EMT either.

-Hal

Thanks for help Hal. FYI, the plastic boxes are used to mount cameras and give the cabling from the cameras a j-boxes for servicing. Metal boxes are much more difficult to use in our application. Thanks.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Apparently you are thinking of something else because plastic "Bell boxes" and their cast aluminum ones are identical. Maybe you are thinking of using a 4x4 plastic J box with cover and cutting KOs in it? I could see mounting a dome camera on that.

-Hal

hitehm

Apparently you are thinking of something else because plastic "Bell boxes" and their cast aluminum ones are identical. Maybe you are thinking of using a 4x4 plastic J box with cover and cutting KOs in it? I could see mounting a dome camera on that.

-Hal

You are exactly correct. It is the plastic 'covers' that fit the plastic bell boxes that are easier for mounting the dome cameras.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We have been using PVC 2 gang boxes from hubble that have 3/4" treated hubs and come with 1/2x3/4 reducers. We use these boxes where we need to have a cord grip, for running to a sensor.
Would be worth checking to see if hubble has them in round boxes, the threaded hub would be easy to go to EMT.
Home Depot has a good selection of PVC boxes..some the wholesale house can get but have to order

Status
Not open for further replies.