Exterior subpanels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbartsch

If I have a meter and fused disconnect at grade with the distribution panel on the roof of the building, do I need a main breaker in the distribution panel on the roof or can I use an MLO panel?

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Exterior subpanels

Providing that the disconnect is fused no higher than the listed ampacity of the panel you could use an MLO panel.

408.16 Overcurrent Protection.
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected. Each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.
Exception No. 1: Individual protection for a lighting and appliance panelboard shall not be required if the panelboard feeder has overcurrent protection not greater than the rating of the panelboard.
(B) Power Panelboard Protection. In addition to the requirements of 408.13, a power panelboard with supply conductors that include a neutral and having more than 10 percent of its overcurrent devices protecting branch circuits rated 30 amperes or less shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device having a rating not greater than that of the panelboard. The overcurrent protective device shall be located within or at any point on the supply side of the panelboard.

--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.