EY Fitting

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
The where is classified locations. See article 500.
The how is after conductors are installed, a potting compound is poured into the seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Trade term mostly is called a seal off.

Install it (correct location) study up on boundary’s etc, and pack and pour after everything is commissioned/know it works.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Obvious point but if you are not familiar with Art 500 stuff, I would certainly think it's a typo on someones part but in all likelihood your 18' is 18" as that is in line with Art 511

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
As a stand alone, the requirement in the OP is vague and leads to questions that you as the estimator or contractor may want to ask.
If the area has been classified, someone is responsible for giving it that designation and if it falls under one of the 3 area classifications defined in chapter 5 there’s a host of requirements with which to comply.
It would clarify your scope to ask that person what classification has been allocated.
OTOH, the requirement could be stand alone for expansion and future flexibility.
Either way I would want to know to cover my rear.

Shaneyj

Occupation
Project Engineer
Obvious point but if you are not familiar with Art 500 stuff, I would certainly think it's a typo on someones part but in all likelihood your 18' is 18" as that is in line with Art 511

Good catch.