Eye Doctor's office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Re: Eye Doctor's office?

I sure would.Personally i don't like the method but yes it's involving patients and electric.Would prefer to see gfci protection but it's not required.Redundant ground yes

mdshunk

I did an eye doctors office a few years ago, and yes the exam room is wired just like a physician's exam room. In fact, this also applied recently to the "exam room" of a massage therapist. I'm not sure I agree with that one, but the bill got paid.

mdshunk

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Would it not be safer to have a gfci than a redundant ground ?Seems we spend more and get less
That does seem to be the case, but that's what we're stuck with. I don't have any old code books from the 70's, but I'm wondering something. Do you suppose that the redundant ground requirement pre dates the GFCI technology? and perhaps at the time the redundant ground requirement was put in the code it was the best method available at the time to assure overcurrent device operation on a ground fault? and perhaps it should be looked at now to give the GFCI option?

iwire

Staff member

I believe the approx. 5 ma a typical GFCI lets through could be far more dangerous to a patient then to an 'average' person.

Do not forget that the GFCI does not prevent a shock, it only shortens the duration.

Proper grounding and bonding should prevent a shock.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I don't think GFI's are appropriate here because tripping, depending on the circumstances might not be tolerable, especially nuisance tripping. Better to provide a redundant ground path that would eliminate any leakage in the first place rather than just shut down in the middle of something important. Of course if the ground fault were serious enough the OCP would trip as usual.

-Hal

jwelectric

Originally posted by iwire:
I believe the approx. 5 ma a typical GFCI lets through could be far more dangerous to a patient then to an 'average' person.

Do not forget that the GFCI does not prevent a shock, it only shortens the duration.

Proper grounding and bonding should prevent a shock.
We agree.
It is far more important that the OCPD open than a GFCI be installed. Remember GFCIs have a fail rate.

Jerimi

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. That is my interpretation also, but I had to convince my Building Commissioner.

Jerimi Meyers
Electrical Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.