Eye Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't mean to bore everyone with my medical problems like I do about a separately derived system, but I had a learning experience yesterday that I would like to share. This may benefit some one.

My Oncologist informed me, she was ordering an RMI of my head, to see if the cancer had spread to my brain.

She questioned me about my time in the military. She asked "if I was around gunfire and explosions" I answered "yes" to both.

She asked me about being around welding and grinding, I also answered "yes".

She, then explained the reason for the questions, was because it has been discovered that small microscopic bits of metal become lodged in the human eye sockets, behind the eyeball. These particles remain forever.

When the intense magnetic field is applied to the the head, these particles are pulled into the eyeball, damaging it beyond repair.

This is good information for everyone to be aware. Protect your eyeballs now, you may suffer years later if not protected.

brian john

Re: Eye Protection

For years I have felt that construction sites worried about hard hats to a ridiculous level, while ignoring eye protection and hearing protection. I can think of maybe onetime a hard hat helped me from a bump on the head. But I have had several trips to the eye doctor for particles in the eye. I now wear eye protection when awake and hearing protection when necessary.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I agree on the hard hat issue.
My hearing is bad thanks to the US Navy. I bought my own safety glasses and use them. I worked with a carpenter that lost an eye, he was very carefull with the other one.
There is now a lot of easy to use eye and ear protection, readily available.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Correction; My original post should read; MRI, not RMI.

The administrator has given me back my identity, and I can't edit the original post.

drg

Just playin Bennie, good to see you around.
John :p

[ April 10, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: drg ]

wyedelta

good to hear from you bennie...

me too have an eye promblem called pthyregium, i don't know if i spell it correctlly i am not good in medical term.i have it operated last two years and now its getting worse again, why because of laziness to wear eye protector like sun glass.

its good to hear your message, it touch me and reconsider wearing safety equiptment while working...thanks for sharing, May God bless you.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Thanks for the kind message. Sorry to hear about your vision problem.

When I was in Antarctica, we had to wear special sun glasses when outside. One time, I decided to walk to a separate building about 10 minutes away. I did not wear my glasses.

When I walked inside the building I was completely blind. It was a few hours before my vision returned. I never repeated that dumb activity again.

Status
Not open for further replies.