F-250 or 250 transit

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Do you recommend the F250 or the 250 transit mid roof?

• Total voters

ericmccurley

Occupation
Electrician
I started an electrical company two years ago. I’m looking to grow in 2025 so at the beginning of the year I will hire a journeyman to help share the workload right now. I work out of a Ford connect van. My next vehicle will be the one I drive and it will either be an F250 allowing me to haul heavier loads, and set me up for the future for when I’m finally able to take on commercial projects. or a 250 Ford transit mid roof. Which one do you guys recommend?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Full size van hands down! I don't know how you could do this work out of a pickup. 😲 I suppose if all you are going to do is ride around and deliver materials like pipe and other items that don't care if they get wet, a pickup is for you.

-Hal

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you like putting a transmission in every 100,000 or less vans are for you. I can’t stand the rattling they make. I’ve had both, utility hands down. That being said, I do only commercial and industrial. Residential, vans are better keeping the can lights and romex dry.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Don't know how it is now but I worked for a large company that had several divisions. This goes back about 20 years ago. One division always bought Ford Vans. The other bought Chevy/GMC.

One of the Bean counters told me that the Fords were always way more expensive to repair. When I worked for a company that bought Chevy/GMC we had great luck with their vans. You could usually drive them 120000-13000 with only oil changes etc. Over that mileage you started with ty rods ,ball joints etc. I would usually get 75,000 out of tires and brakes.

But then again, I was accused of driving like an old lady. I kept it 70ish on the highway and didn't hammer the breaks. Others in the company with the same vans would need breaks and tires at 35-40K. It all depends on how you drive. Tires and brakes wear together.

ericmccurley

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks guys for the advice! You can do it out of a truck using packouts and making a good list of what you need. I would love to do industrial maintenance. I’m lacking in contacts and who to get in touch with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Everyone’s needs will be different.

Some days I would love to work out of a van. Normally it would be a disaster. I need 4x4 a lot. I tow 18k pretty regularly, and I hate automatic transmissions, so Ram 5500 with a service body works for me. I also use an open bed pretty regularly.

Of all I did was residential electric in town, I think a van would be great. If all I did was residential electric in the hills, a 2500 roll top service body or pickup with canopy would probably be great.

What do you find yourself working out of most efficiently and comfortably?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Don't know how it is now but I worked for a large company that had several divisions. This goes back about 20 years ago. One division always bought Ford Vans. The other bought Chevy/GMC.

One of the Bean counters told me that the Fords were always way more expensive to repair. When I worked for a company that bought Chevy/GMC we had great luck with their vans. You could usually drive them 120000-13000 with only oil changes etc. Over that mileage you started with ty rods ,ball joints etc. I would usually get 75,000 out of tires and brakes.

But then again, I was accused of driving like an old lady. I kept it 70ish on the highway and didn't hammer the breaks. Others in the company with the same vans would need breaks and tires at 35-40K. It all depends on how you drive. Tires and brakes wear together.
We had both, 100,000 would be the max out of a tranny. We had several hundred of them. Trucks would get 200,000 out of the tranny. Usually that and normal maintenance, usually didn’t have problems with the motors. Send them to auction at 250-300 thousand miles.