F.a. Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAUL M.

I was wondering if ayone could give me a ballpark number on some wire. I have Horn/Strobe circuit w/speakers. Also need price on #14 pr for addressable devices.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
ADI is selling 14/2 FPL 1M jacketed for $150.00. Shielded will be $$$$$

For what it's worth, I wouldn't get anything other than FPLP unless you have a LOT of non-plenum wire to install. The price difference doesn't justify the grief trying to separate the standard, riser, and plenum installation portions of a job and making sure the appropriate wire goes in each portion. As a former boss of mine once said, "Wire is cheap, labor is expensive". If you have to pull out a run because you put in the wrong type, you've probably sucked up the cost savings for wire on that job and the next five!

nhfire77

For what it's worth, I wouldn't get anything other than FPLP unless you have a LOT of non-plenum wire to install. The price difference doesn't justify the grief trying to separate the standard, riser, and plenum installation portions of a job and making sure the appropriate wire goes in each portion. As a former boss of mine once said, "Wire is cheap, labor is expensive". If you have to pull out a run because you put in the wrong type, you've probably sucked up the cost savings for wire on that job and the next five!

GAR,

I agree, and know from personal experience, the wrong type of cable can be a PITA. Having said that, I do a lot of commercial fire and never find plenum where riser/nonplenum will do. Why, well in my opinion the $40/box more is better suited in my pocket. Also, I always check to make sure what is going in, as I will only make that mistake once.

But, I did find mid lakes cable FPLP, on clearance (67$/1M ft.!!). So all I have for repair/service work is that.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
GAR,

I agree, and know from personal experience, the wrong type of cable can be a PITA. Having said that, I do a lot of commercial fire and never find plenum where riser/nonplenum will do. Why, well in my opinion the $40/box more is better suited in my pocket. Also, I always check to make sure what is going in, as I will only make that mistake once.

But, I did find mid lakes cable FPLP, on clearance (67$/1M ft.!!). So all I have for repair/service work is that.

For a delta of $40/box, 2.5 boxes is about our hourly charge. Depending on installation conditions and the number of devices, you could easily spend 8 hours replacing 1,000 feet of FPL with FPLP in a drop ceiling "for other environmental air". Now if I had 20,000 of riser to do, that's a different story.

Our price from ADI for 14-2 unshielded is the same as yours. We don't have 14-2 shielded in our inventory system, but 16-2 shielded/unshielded is $120 vs $108; not that big a deal.

nhfire77

For a delta of $40/box, 2.5 boxes is about our hourly charge. Depending on installation conditions and the number of devices, you could easily spend 8 hours replacing 1,000 feet of FPL with FPLP in a drop ceiling "for other environmental air". Now if I had 20,000 of riser to do, that's a different story.

Our price from ADI for 14-2 unshielded is the same as yours. We don't have 14-2 shielded in our inventory system, but 16-2 shielded/unshielded is $120 vs $108; not that big a deal.

I agree shielded is a waste, unless you happen to overcharge for your FACP's (Simplex, Siemens, Mircom)

Status
Not open for further replies.