F/A spacing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

NFPA 7.5.4.2.5 says horn/strobes shall be located not more than 15 ft from end of corridor and with separation not more than 100 ft between them.

I am having trouble interpreting a unique situation with regards to it being a corridor end or not.

please see attached dwg.

from the attached dwg, would you consider the marked area a corridor end and place a horn/strobe there or within 15 ft of there?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have always put one in locations like that.

And looking at the NFPA 72 handbook, it looks like it should have one. They show a similar corridor, except there are two more horizontal corridors off the top and bottom of your vertical corridor. (So it is shaped like a backwards "E"). They show 6 devices total (and the longest corridor is only 100').

Steve

spsnyder

I agree with Steve 100%. I'd consider two corridors.

editted...

The reason being you can't see around the wall. The intent of the 100' in a corridor I believe is that you can see down the corridor (straight). Incidentally, I have had curved corridors and did not space them at 100' because of the line of sight issue. Drew lines tangent to the curves and the H/S to space them.

Regards,

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I never really understood the "15' from the end" rule.

If you have a 31' corridor, you have to put in two strobes, even if they are only 1' apart. It seems like a strobe would be pretty obvious 30' away.

But I guess we have to do what the code says, even if it seems silly.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.