FABRICATED CID2 BREAKER PANELS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1959

I have a customer who is requesting that we fabricate breaker panels for one of our gas chromatograph buildings utilizing CID2 DIN rail mount breakers inside a couple of Hoffman CSD enclosures. It will be in an area operated by an industrial group. There will be one general purpose panel with about 10 breakers. There will be another UPS fed panel that will have about 4 breakers. There will be a 3rd 480 volt feeder to the building heater. My understanding is that I need to install 3 disconnects ahead of the panels and heater, to keep it under six operations of the hand - 225.33 A. My concern is that they would need to open the enclosures in order to operate the breakers, with exposed energized parts. They would have to do so with respect to 70E, but is this a compliant installation to start with? It will save them money over classic NEMA 7 breaker panels. I do see breakers inside control cabinets often, so it is probably OK. Thoughts?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
take a look at 501.115 (B)(1).

Presumably by C1D2 circuit breakers you mean hermetically sealed units. I don't know that I have ever seen one.

Are you allowed by code to run 3 feeders to a building?

Jim1959

take a look at 501.115 (B)(1).

Presumably by C1D2 circuit breakers you mean hermetically sealed units. I don't know that I have ever seen one.

Are you allowed by code to run 3 feeders to a building?

I believe we are allowed to run 3 feeders to a building if they are of different characteristics per 225.30D
There are actually a lot of CID2 breakers available, here's what this customer is requesting from Phoenix:

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/usen/web/corporate/Press/press_information/2d7d7a67-4249-427e-8fd9-926bdf53e0be
http://www.cri-explosionproofbreakers.com/Class_1_Division_2_Circuit_Breakers

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not a branch rated breaker and only 1 kA AIC, although oddly they call it SCCR.

Also not listed.

I think as far as being used in a D2 area they are OK.

ETA: I think you could add some kind of cover to the breakers so the top is exposed but where the energized parts are located is not accessible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.