Face up receptacles in window sill

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I've got a situation where there is no room for a residential countertop receptacle.

The countertop is located under a long window where the casing sits directly on the granite surface.

The range is centered in the window and the best spacing I can achieve is about 84" between receptacles.

This was a design flaw by the general contractor. The GC now wants me to install face up receptacles in the window sill.

I talked to the AHJ and he said he would not approve the install.

Thoughts??

blkmagik21

These he should allow as it’s listed for the purpose.
3317e256f68b4bd8b2955bdfa951bea5.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nizak

I can't find the verbage in the code that prohibits a receptacle from being installed face up in a residential window sill.

Do I think it would look unprofessional... Yes

Is it a violation per the NEC.... ??

blkmagik21

If the window sill is the same level as the countertop then it too is considered countertop as water and grease can run right from the counter to the window sill.

nizak

The sill will be 3.75" higher than the granite surface. The window casing that sits on the granite is 3.5" tall plus the .25" reveal

blkmagik21

Then I do not agree with your inspector. For NEC reasons. But for the fact that grease could still splash into it I can see where it’s not a good idea. But not a code violation. I think he is pulling his AHJ bs on you.

nizak

I do think it will really look tacky having receps in the window sill.

GC is going to fight this because the only other option is to change the entire window opening, order a new custom window, and explain to the HO how he screwed up.

Pop up style receps will not work in the granite top because the outlet box will hang down too far on the bottom side and interfere with the drawers on each side of the stove.

blkmagik21

He drawers rarely go up that high in the inside, and the outlets I posted a picture of wouldn’t look too tacky IMHO.

Can you post a picture of the installation?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Then I do not agree with your inspector. For NEC reasons. But for the fact that grease could still splash into it I can see where it’s not a good idea. But not a code violation. I think he is pulling his AHJ bs on you.

^^This. A receptacle is not prohibited in a window sill. A window sill is not a countertop or similar work surface. Google Sillites receptacle.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does the window open? If so, water (rain, sprinklers, water balloons) can come through the window and soak the receptacles if face up. The pop ups would be necessary. If not, I don't see an issue with face up receptacles except it would look tacky.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
The sill will be 3.75" higher than the granite surface. The window casing that sits on the granite is 3.5" tall plus the .25" reveal

Just a thought.
How about a hard wired Wiremold/Plugmold plug strip mounted to the 3.5" tall casing?

As for mounting the outlets in the window sill, what if the customer decides to install blinds on the window? Many use 2" slats.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the window sill is 3.5" higher than the counter then IMO, it is not a work surface and a sillite receptacle will work. I have done this before myself. However, a plugmold, as also mentioned above is another choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.