FACP Location

W@ttson

Hello all,

I know that panelboards are not allowed to be over steps as per 240.24 ( F). What about FACPs? Is there any restriction to placing them over steps? I could not find anything in NEC and searched NFPA 72 with no luck.

Thank you

Npstewart

110.26 Says switchboards, switchgear, or panelboards. If you read the definition of those then you'll likely conclude that an FACP likely meets the definition of one of those. Furthermore, FACPs are much more likely to be worked on while energized because its unlikely anyone will disconnect power to them prior to opening the cover, and even if they did theres batteries.

Also, in my experience the AHJ sometimes explicitly mentions the clear space requirements for FACPs.

LAST, there is a "Low voltage" portion of 110.26:
Low Voltage. By special permission, smaller working
spaces shall be permitted where all exposed live parts operate
at not greater than 30 volts rms, 42 volts peak, or 60 volts dc

However, it does not seem to mention any exceptions for stairs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
110.26 Says switchboards, switchgear, or panelboards. If you read the definition of those then you'll likely conclude that an FACP likely meets the definition of one of those. Furthermore, FACPs are much more likely to be worked on while energized because its unlikely anyone will disconnect power to them prior to opening the cover, and even if they did theres batteries.

Also, in my experience the AHJ sometimes explicitly mentions the clear space requirements for FACPs.

LAST, there is a "Low voltage" portion of 110.26:
Low Voltage. By special permission, smaller working
spaces shall be permitted where all exposed live parts operate
at not greater than 30 volts rms, 42 volts peak, or 60 volts dc

However, it does not seem to mention any exceptions for stairs.
I don't see how a fire alarm control panel would be covered by one of those definitions. However fire alarm control panels are covered by the requirements of 110.26(A). Prior to the 2023 code, it was not completely clear that the required work space had to be flat. That was addressed in the 2023 code with the addition of 110.26(A)(6).
(6) Grade, Floor, or Working Platform.
The grade, floor, or platform in the required working space shall be kept clear, and the floor, grade, or platform in the working space shall be as level and flat as practical for the entire required depth and width of the working space.

W@ttson

I don't see how a fire alarm control panel would be covered by one of those definitions. However fire alarm control panels are covered by the requirements of 110.26(A). Prior to the 2023 code, it was not completely clear that the required work space had to be flat. That was addressed in the 2023 code with the addition of 110.26(A)(6).
I think that is the silver bullet. That is what would disqualify the steps.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This sounds like one of those "don't pick up your lawnmower and use it as a hedge trimmer" moments. That warning only exists because someone tried that. I can't imagine how anyone would want to install an FACU in a stairwell. The public having access to the panel, the inconvenience for the service technician, the danger if the building has to be evacuated while the technician is working on the panel; so many bad things going on here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IBC forbids locating anything in a stairwell that isn't just for the stairwell.
Does that apply to all stairways in all occupancies, or just "exit enclosures" as covered by 300.25.
300.25 Exit Enclosures (Stair Towers).
Where an exit enclosure is required to have a fire resistance rating, only electrical wiring methods serving equipment permitted by the authority having jurisdiction in the exit enclosure shall be installed within the exit enclosure.